• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:53:51 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Vac Sealer for your hops at Lidl

Started by Ciderhead, December 28, 2012, 04:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

December 28, 2012, 04:54:05 PM Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:07:52 PM by Ciderhead
Ok everyone that wants to preserve hops just spotted this one coming on New Years eve  [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]
http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-8EA90108-F6D43327/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_27238.htm
It may not do the 400 grammes we packed but could be good for repacking into 1 or 200's?

ColinC

Well spotted. Couldn't see the vac pack bags though? I presume you can just re-seal ones you open?

Ciderhead

December 28, 2012, 05:03:10 PM #2 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:06:19 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteWell spotted. Couldn't see the vac pack bags though? I presume you can just re-seal ones you open?

Colin they come with 3 metres on a roll, so they will be the same as they ones we bought for the hop pack so you cut, heat seal one end, fill, vac and heat seal the other end.
Expensive little sods to replace but that should be loads for hops if its hidden in the garage ;)

rukkus

Very handy to have one of these if you get hops in bulk, I just reseal the bag after a brew and pop them back in the cupboard.

Ciderhead

QuoteVery handy to have one of these if you get hops in bulk, I just reseal the bag after a brew and pop them back in the cupboard.

Pop back in the freezer surely Rukus ;)

rukkus

Should be yea, i dont have room though so they just get vac packed and put in the cupboard with my grain. They seem to keep ok.

Ciderhead

QuoteShould be yea, i dont have room though so they just get vac packed and put in the cupboard with my grain. They seem to keep ok.

It can be significant with hops like Cascade
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.1/garetz.html
But if you don't have the space :(

ColinC

QuoteWell spotted. Couldn't see the vac pack bags though? I presume you can just re-seal ones you open?

Colin they come with 3 metres on a roll, so they will be the same as they ones we bought for the hop pack so you cut, heat seal one end, fill, vac and heat seal the other end.
Expensive little sods to replace but that should be loads for hops if its hidden in the garage ;)

Spot on, cheers John, didn't look at properly. I'll pick one of them up so!

LordEoin

I might wait until the following weekend and see your reviews. ;)

Ciderhead

QuoteI might wait until the following weekend and see your reviews. ;)

There will be none left in Co Wicklow ;)

Greg2013

They also have a couple of handy digital kitchen timers for like 4 euro as well, might be handy to have one ready? ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Hop Bomb

Sh!te! Did you get a dodgy one I wonder? I bought one too but wont get to try it out until tomorrow eve. Can anyone else who bought one try it & report back?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

johnrm

December 31, 2012, 05:30:21 PM #12 Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:16:14 PM by johnrm
Bought one, the vac doesn't work. Going back with it now.

[Edit: my bad, I did not try this with a bag. However if its not capable of foil seals, then it is less suited for my purposes]

johnrm

Makes sense.
I got cash back so can always get another after you do some more testing!
I am always sceptical about budget electrical stuff like this' I've had fun with stuff from lidl/aldi in the past.
That said, they have a good returns policy.

Hop Bomb

Just brought mine back for a refund. So does it work or not? :)
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.