• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:32:30 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Vac Sealer for your hops at Lidl

Started by Ciderhead, December 28, 2012, 04:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

I got one this morning. I already had a similar one which had broken so I was happy to see a 3 year guarantee with this one.

It seems to seal 'slightly' better than my old one as it has a wider melting region of about 2mm. I tried 3 different types of bags with this, the supplied plastic, a freezer bag and a ziplock sandwich bag. All 3 types sealed without letting air back in, my old one used to let air back in sometimes. The best 'looking' seal was from the ziplock bag which has the heaviest plastic of the 3, followed by the supplied plastic and then the freezer bag which was very light.

In the image below, its garlic in a sealed freezer bag, in a sealed ziplock bag which is all sealed in the supplied plastic.

I don't like using the supplied plastic as I have to seal it on both ends so I will probably buy a pack of ziplock bags from Tesco tomorrow.

Overall it does the job, barely, just don't expect this type of performance.
Brew Log

Ciderhead

QuoteAnyone thinking of getting one of these vac packers: DON'T!

They can't seal foil type bags and are barely able to seal the plastic bags they come with. I wish I hadn't bought one!  >:(

Oh God that went hits up, sorry Guys thought it was a good deal :-[

johnrm

One of the days Lidl will wake up, charge EUR1 more and sell stuff that's fit for a purpose.

Will_D

Lidl are very good at refunding - just bring it back with the receipt

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Paul

Does the one from Amazon on the other thread do foil bags ?

Are foil bags necessary ?

Ciderhead

January 01, 2013, 02:58:21 PM #20 Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:59:31 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteDoes the one from Amazon on the other thread do foil bags ?

Are foil bags necessary ?

Mylar Bags as very prevalent in the US for Doomsday preppers, but quality ones are really expensive, there are cheaper versions on the market with similar structure to your crispbag.
Quality versions are a sandwich layer of foil and thin polyester film and will store perishables in the correct ambient conditions for 10 years+.
If you plan on keeping your hops for 2 Years + go for these otherwise they are overkill.
The heavier guage LDPE on amazon bags and the fact that you are freezing vacuumed bags in a zero oxygen environment and storing in the dark more that adequately ensures that you have minimal loss of hop oils and freshness.      
Tips to maintain freshness would be to make smaller packets 50-100g packets of hops, less air in packet, and obviously reseal asap after taking out what you want.

nigel_c

I picked one up on monday and plugged it in last night and nothing. No led light or anything. Gonna check the fuse and if its a no go will be going straight back. There is no secret on off button I'm missing hidden somewhere?

nigel_c

even when i plug it in i get no indicator light. :(

nigel_c

I did kind of got it going. Trickey fecking thing to get going.

nigel_c

Have the bag made but not getting any vac seal. How long does it take to extract the air? Any ones I've used in the past you have to leave a few seconds and it pulls all the air at once. Industrial ones are not as noisy as well. Would go theough your head pretty quick.

Ciderhead

please don't prolong my agony and just return for a refund :-[

Damo

Nigel

If you open the bag, then lift up the plastic flap thingy and slide it in between the open plastic bag.

I'll bet it works just fine

Hop Bomb

Quoteplease don't prolong my agony and just return for a refund :-[

You werent to know. Cheers for the tip anyway.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

nigel_c

Yeah I think it'll be going back. Have no idea where the the receipt is though.  :-?

nigel_c

Cheers Damo it actually works. Not a perfect seal but it'll do I think. Better than nothing. It was just about to get slung out the 3rd floor window.