• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 11:22:20 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Vac Sealer for your hops at Lidl

Started by Ciderhead, December 28, 2012, 04:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damo

January 03, 2013, 08:43:38 PM #30 Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:28:40 PM by Damian
No probs ;)

Whats to stop you sealing it up 2 or 3 times either end.

Also...

Give it as much downward pressure as you can when sealing and vacuming.  This makes a huge difference  :)

Shane Phelan

QuoteCheers Damo it actually works. Not a perfect seal but it'll do I think. Better than nothing. It was just about to get slung out the 3rd floor window.

I split one 400g bag of hops into 8 last night and the thought occurred to me.
Brew Log

LordEoin

QuoteI might wait until the following weekend and see your reviews. ;)
I'm so glad I let you guys test it out for me.
Thanks folks  ;D

Ciderhead

January 04, 2013, 02:51:10 PM #33 Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:55:07 PM by Ciderhead
Ok round at Damos trying his

It worked perfectly well and to think I was embarrassed did any of you fellas read the instructions :(

Lift lid
Open bag and insert either side of transparent clip
Push down and lock lid until it clicks
Pump starts and away you go
Towards end apply sealer and Mary is your aunt

It does not suck a golf ball down a hosepipe as mine does but did a perfectly acceptable job considering it was a third of the cost and uses standard bags unlike the expensive ones I have

I got replies for various small commercial models akin to what butchers and used by HB comp.
Anywhere between €1500 and 2,200 depending rate of vacuum and bags between 30 and 50 cm.
So who is up for a group buy ;)

Ciderhead

QuoteFirst bag I did went spiffingly well, as you describe above.

No other bag since (maybe 20 bags by now) has gone well!

I'll ask my driver to do it for you next time I'm up ;)

Greg2013

Just get a five dolla ho she will do the job for ya :o ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Shane Phelan

January 06, 2013, 03:45:50 PM #36 Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:22:31 PM by shiny
I peeled off the gold foil that is sitting on top of the heater wire. Seems to seal better with that gone.

Edit: Don't do this.... ::)
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Not a risk, a guarantee. Its melting on them as we speak. Doesn't seem to matter when sealing alone but once you are trying to seal a vacuumed bag it melts.
Brew Log

Ciderhead

QuoteI peeled off the gold foil that is sitting on top of the heater wire. Seems to seal better with that gone.

Edit: Don't do this.... ::)

:o

Shane Phelan

Its still working but plastic is being melted clean through when sealing. I'm amazed the bags are keeping their seal, it doesn't look pretty. I lost the receipt unfortunately.
Brew Log

johnrm

*Cough* Surely someone has a 'spare' receipt for a working VacSealer *Cough*

Taf

So what's the concensus on these Lidl vac sealers? I definitely need one, so am thinking of this one. Anybody have this one, and care to comment on it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Professional-Quality-Machine/dp/B001HBE5Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357571190&sr=8-1

Ciderhead

January 07, 2013, 03:10:03 PM #42 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:13:55 PM by Ciderhead
thats the one that Padraic and I have and John is gettting its the dogs B, use parcel motel to save on shipping
Order an extra roll or two of the wider rolls and you will be set up for life
bags are expensive but it comes with enough even to repack even the shedloads you bought ;)

rukkus

I have this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Quality-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B001HBP7HW/ref=pd_cp_kh_0 which does the job just fine. I havent tried it on foil bags but it seals the ones it came with very well.

The other one looks good value at half price though.

newToBrew

that Professional one on Amazon Seems to be half price at the moment

link
coz theres always something new to do