• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:43:30 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Stir bars

Started by Spud395, November 28, 2012, 07:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud395

Getting the bits to put a stir plate together at Christmas. Got DX.com on the job  ;D didnt find any stirbars though.

Where are people finding stir bars?
Non modo......sed etiam

Padraic

I saw them on eBay cheap enough!

Shane Phelan

Fisher Scientific have them. Price doesn't seem to be too bad.

I would probably be able to get a university discount but not worth it for a one off.   
Brew Log

Covey

Ahem, what do ye need sizes amounts and the like, i might be able to help. I can general get my hands on stirs bar when i want. But have not idea what ye use them for?
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did

Covey

i can get a few of the  mini ones for stiring about 50- 100ml say 70 or so, bigger ones for like 1 litre about 25. how many person would ye need?

Will_D

Typical stir bars for our plates range from:

30 mm to about 60mm long

I have a couple of 60's ( good for 500 to 2000 ml starters ) but would like some 30's for the really smaller stuff ( say 100 to 500 ml starters).

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shane Phelan

QuoteAhem, what do ye need sizes amounts and the like, i might be able to help. I can general get my hands on stirs bar when i want. But have not idea what ye use them for?
For stir plates for making yeast starters.

@shiny start a list and I bet you you'll get 20 takers!

If I can get an account set up I will, I think I need the university account number to do that so I can give them a ring in the morning. Covey seems to have the bars sorted. I'm thinking bigger as I was considering doing a conical flask group buy. I had previously priced a individual 3L flask for around €16. Could probably get another box of the vials too if the demand was there.
Brew Log

Covey

will i just start sending them to the club and let the Express distribute them as they are requested? Conicals are very over priced for what they are. Would'nt any glass or jug  not do the same job, im missing something here?

Spud395

I'd love to take a big and a small one off you, where abouts are you?

The conicals are pyrex and so can be boiled which makes them very handy. They also have a flat bottom so the bar will stay in place
Non modo......sed etiam

Shane Phelan

If they have a flat bottom they would do yeah. I got a 1L conincal and found it too small for when I'm making bigger beers, that's why I was looking at the 3L.
Brew Log

Covey

zero , i work in a lab 8-)

Covey

QuoteIf they have a flat bottom they would do yeah. I got a 1L conincal and found it too small for when I'm making bigger beers, that's why I was looking at the 3L.
Not to sound daft would a pyrex casserole dish not do the job?

Dr Jacoby

I'll take a couple of big stir bars if they're going. I'll be using them for 2L starters so I guess 60mm bars would be best
Every little helps

Shane Phelan

QuoteIf they have a flat bottom they would do yeah. I got a 1L conincal and found it too small for when I'm making bigger beers, that's why I was looking at the 3L.
Not to sound daft would a pyrex casserole dish not do the job?

As I said in my last post, anything that has a flat bottom they would do [the job]. (Re-reading my post I can see that wasn't very clear)

Being completely honest. I spent 6 months watching (mainly American) brewing videos and reading forums. A lot of the time they used conical's when making their yeast starters so when it came to making my stir plate I just instinctively got a conical.

I also like that it is easy to swirl, easy to cover (narrow neck) and has lower centre of gravity so harder to tip over. Also it looks cool.  :)

Brew Log

Covey

Get ya now, i will post them to tube and you can get them from him