• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 04:03:51 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Tubing

Started by Davmcgoo, March 20, 2020, 04:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davmcgoo

I have a coopers FV with a tap and am looking at the best way to move beer from there into a bottling bucket. Do I need to buy an auto syphon or is there tubing I can get to connect up with the tap? Thanks

Water_Wolf

The autosiphon would be the easiest option.

If you can guarantee that your tap is always going to be above the level of the trub then you could use it, though you may lose a bit of beer. You can raise the fermenter onto a table and let gravity do the transfer - e.g. you could attach a funnel to a piece of tubing and then hold the funnel up to the tap.

Davmcgoo

Thanks for the reply Water Wolf. I've only done a few brews but the trub has never reached the tap before. I keep the fermenter on a stand anyway so the funnel idea should be grand. Hopefully I can transfer it over gently without getting much air into the beer.

Raxy

I don't know what size the hole for the tap is but you could replace the tap for 1 tubing will fit on better

Davmcgoo

Quote from: Raxy on March 20, 2020, 08:33:40 PMI don't know what size the hole for the tap is but you could replace the tap for 1 tubing will fit on better

Hi Raxy. I don't really get what you mean. Could you explain. I just had a look around and I have a spare bottling tube that fits into the tap so I've taken the piece off the end and going to put some tubing around that. Hoping that will work well. All trial and error with this homebrewing haha

Raxy

If you get a tap like https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/plastic-tap-with-sediment-reducer-attached-p-2492.html & attach some tubing you can transfer into the bottling bucket.

Is your fermenter full now? Hard to picture what your trying but I'd be afraid it would leak or the wand would come loose during transfer. If you can I would do a test run with water just in case.

Davmcgoo

Ah okay I get what you mean. Haven't started the batch yet so I will test with water once the tubing arrives. I have that exact tap that you linked on my bottling bucket but it wouldn't fit on the coopers FV.

Sorry I'm not explaining my plan very well. I have one of these:
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/bottle-filling-stick-plastic-p-55.html

It fits into the coopers tap. I've bottled through this in the past so I'm confident it wont come loose during transfer. I took the plastic piece off the bottom so it's just a hard plastic straight through pipe. I'll attach the flexible tubing onto this and have the other end in the bottling bucket. As said, I'll test with water and see how it goes!