• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 08:46:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Corny keg starter kit

Started by fiachras, May 20, 2020, 08:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiachras

New member. Just moved to all grain. Planning to get kegging.
Any suggestions for good starter set?
Corny kegs, Regulator, Fittings and lines, Taps, etc
Have read all the praise for AJEdge in Bray and plan to get CO2 bottle there
Have also read "stay away" stories for one UK supplier.
Would like to buy irish but don't want the hassle of picking all the parts from different suppliers...
Any suggestions?

Emot

I made the following list for a friend recently which more or less covers all parts. In know you're saying you don't want the hassle of multiple suppliers but this is the best way to get good value. You could be looking at the difference between €750 for an all in pack vs €250 if you buy from a few places.

Under counter fridge (if building a Kegerator)
Search on Adverts, here's one I just found which is the style you will need
Adverts fridge
You'll want to avoid fridges with a top freezer compartment, unless it can be bent down into the fridge (which I did with mine)

Keg
HBC Keg

CO2 Gas Cylinder
AJ Edge in Bray - about €40 for a tank filled and then €10 refills there or in D&D Wholesale in Tallaght

Gas Regulator
Amazon Gas Regulator
Also sold on the Homebrew Company Website
HBC Regulator

Quick Disconnect In and Out
HBC Quick Disconnect In
HBC Quick Disconnect Out
You could also find these in pairs on Amazon.
Keep in mind there are 2 types of these (other than the colour), one is a barb connection which will need a jubilee clip to secure your beer/gas line. The other is a threaded connection to which you would screw on a push fit gas/beer line. I prefer the threaded ones. The HBC links above are a threaded connection with a barb fitting extra for best of both worlds.

Push-fit connections mentioned above (2 per keg)
HBC John Guest 3/8 Push-fit
HBC John Guest 5/16 Push-fit
The two links above will both screw onto a normal Quick disconnect but are for different size tubing. Typically you will use 3/8 line for Gas and 5/16 line for beer. The 3/8 and 5/16 refer to the outer diameter of the tubing (OD).

Gas/beer Line
Gas Line 3/8
Beer Line 5/16
Both 3/8 gas and 5/16 beer line above. You will need a few feet of beer line per keg because you want the beer to travel through a longer distance for better pour. Gas line is just enough to reach from your CO2 cylinder to Keg.
HBC 3/8 Line (Sold out at time of writing)
HBC 5/16 Line (Sold out at time of writing)

Tap
HBC Flow Control Tap
I prefer a "flow-control" tap, but you can find cheaper on AliExpress or Amazon. Make sure you get one with a shank. Here's an Ali one I ordered recently;
AliExptress Tap

Now depending on whether you are building a Kegerator or a Keezer;

Kegerator - Tower
Amazon Tower
You could get creative and just build one from some PVC pipe.

If building a Keezer, instead of a fridge you'll want a chest freezer. Large enough to hold 3/4 kegs I would suggest. Search on Adverts. You'd don't need a tower if doing a keezer. The taps will come straight out of the collar.

Temperature Controller - Only essential for a Keezer, I would recommend for a Kegerator though
Amazon Inkbird

Here's an all in kit from HBC but IMO, overpriced
HBC All In Kegerator

lunka01

Hi

I'm also looking into go kegging

Just a question on your CO2 recommendation, what sort of size of CO2 bottle would you recommend (I brew max 10 ~ 20L batches in a year), also while purchasing do you need to state this is for beer (food grade etc). I will be getting my gas from AJ's place in Bray

Also is there any special linkage required to connect gas bottle to the regulator?

Cheers!

pawel j.

CH

Emot

I would recommend you get the biggest they will give you to save you the hassle of getting it refilled more regularly. I got a 5 or 6kg bottle (can't remember exactly) but it's about the same height as a corny keg, maybe a little taller and narrower. It's reasonably heavy and I think when full should be lasting you about 1 or 2 years.

When you walk in and ask for a bottle you can mention it's for brewing but to be honest I don't think it matters, I'm fairly sure it's all food grade when they're selling just bottles of CO2.

Any standard CO2 regulator should fit. I think I brought mine with me when collecting the bottle to have them put it on tightly with their equipment.

bighoppapump

May 21, 2020, 07:05:40 PM #5 Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:42:15 PM by bighoppapump
I'm also looking into kegging and have a question about a gas supplier I'm looking at. Stargas have a local rep near me in Sligo. They seem to offer CO2 in both liquid and vapour form. Any idea on which I should go for?
https://www.stargas.ie/co2-gas

Emot

I assumed all fills would be liquid as you can store more in a tank. If you are given the option, go for liquid.

lunka01

pawel j.

fiachras

Thanks for all the responses.
Looks like i need to get a shopping list together and bite the bullet!