• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 07:18:33 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hop strainers?

Started by pk, April 21, 2013, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk

Hi,
Any pointers to homemade hop strainers?
Thanks
Paul

brenmurph

for wat is it dry hopping keg or modifying kits?

pk

Hi,
Just started extract brewing and I've a stainless steel boiler. The hops are clogging up the tap after cooling and transferring to the fermenter. I was going to just buy one but maybe I can rig something up?

brenmurph

u just need a hop muslin bag. U get about 10 of dem for a fiver in homebrew shops.

u can tie de bag wit some string or a small cable tie.

LordEoin

yeah, you can buy them single for about 60cent each too :)

johnrm

Once upon a time there was a chap going by EoinMag  who made the most wonderiffic  bags,  but I'm not sure where he is these days.

Jacob

Quote from: johnrm on April 22, 2013, 07:20:29 AM
Once upon a time there was a chap going by EoinMag  who made the most wonderiffic  bags,  but I'm not sure where he is these days.
He's still with us, but his business is closed at the moment.
Details available HERE

brenmurph

ye I have a few t-balls for sale, ill bring a few for sale bits to lucan meet. I find dem excellent for dry hoppin cornies as dey sit bside de beer out pipe,  but for boiling malt & hops de bags I prefer.

Jacob

Got two large t-balls from China. Smaller would be perfect to dry hop in the cornie, but with regular fermenter still need to use extra weight to sink it.

brenmurph

glass or stainless marbels are perfect to sink it..... 2 marbels usually works. I have 6 or so for sale 3 inch tea-balls suitable for dry hopping a corny say 15-20 litres.

LordEoin

for dry hopping, you can also use tights to make a bag

RichC

I made several versions and I've now settled on this one which I'm very happy with. However it has clogged with hop pellets on me(I hate pellets!!!)

brenmurph

April 22, 2013, 10:42:35 PM #12 Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:07:12 PM by brenmurph
b.a.l.l.s is easier to say than 'lee-a-roady'

what about 'tea spheres' for those that cant speak Irish

DEMPSEY

Language is a great thing,"the Square"shopping centre in Tallaght is really a pyramid but the locals could not spell pyramid so they called it the Square :P
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

brenmurph

so why is b.a.l.l.s. banned?