• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:49:22 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

External mains gas connections

Started by admin, May 16, 2013, 05:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Just had a chat with a neighbour who is doing his final RGI exam this evening.

I asked him about external "sockets" for hooking up to mains gas, and was there such a thing. He said there is, that it's like a garden tap without the tap. It's push fit and when there's nothing connected it seals itself.

I asked him about the "orange hose" that connects most appliances to gas bottles. He said that has to be replaced with "black hose". I didn't ask what black hose is.

I asked would normal appliances like BBQs, camping stoves etc., work on mains gas if designed for bottled gas. Maybe is the answer. Due to differences in pressure (37 millibar for bottled gas, 20 for mains gas), the "jet" has to be replaced. There would be one jet per ring. I'm not sure what a jet looks like. He said that most appliances (e.g. cookers) nowadays come with replacements so that they can be swicthed between mains and bottled gas with ease.

He's also available to do installations in the Greater Dublin Area! :)

imark

Could be a great way to run a gas setup outside. No fear of running out mid brew.

If my Buffalo induction hob doesn't suffice I may need his contact details.

JimmyM

Quote from: Tube on May 16, 2013, 05:10:05 PM

I asked would normal appliances like BBQs, camping stoves etc., work on mains gas if designed for bottled gas. Maybe is the answer. Due to differences in pressure (37 millibar for bottled gas, 20 for mains gas), the "jet" has to be replaced. There would be one jet per ring. I'm not sure what a jet looks like.

I replaced the jets on my gas cooker a while back.
These be an example ....
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Gas-4-burner-cooker-hob-jet-nozzle-LPG-propane-butane-Calor-conversion-set-/261191466430?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Ovens_Hobs_Cookers&hash=item3cd0397dbe

I bought a second hand gas hob which was being used with bottled gas and mains is a diff pressure

So The jets just screw in and out with a socket spanner.
What you said above - the hole in the jet is bigger or smaller depending how much gas you want to let through.
Thats the basic idea.
Formerly JamesM.

johnrm

Quote from: Tube on May 16, 2013, 05:10:05 PM
I asked him about external "sockets" for hooking up to mains gas, and was there such a thing. He said there is, that it's like a garden tap without the tap. It's push fit and when there's nothing connected it seals itself.
So I wasn't too far off the mark with the Bullfinch.

Jets are much like you see in a Carburettor. Ones I've seen are Brass and have hole that restricts the gas flow and direct the Gas flow.

Our gas hob was fitted with the wrong jets, the Kitchen fitters mate practically lost his eyebrows. That was funny.

Will_D

Quote from: Tube on May 16, 2013, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: johnrm on May 16, 2013, 06:41:09 PM
Jets are much like you see in a Carburettor.
A what? Haven't seen one of those since 1998!  ???
I'll send you a spare Webber DCOE 40 - More jets than a B-52
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

BTW: The black tubing is a reinforced Neoprene rubber that was spec'd for my propane blowlamp a long time ago!!

Ciderhead

Will_D

Hmmm, I would not use copper as my gas jets/burners They might melt.

Naturally, I have a book who's title is cunningly hidden (NOT); "The Back Yard Foundry" it describes a Propane/Natural Gas Furnace that WILL Melt steel or Iron for casting!

This has now triggered a new thread - I wonder if you can find it??

johnrm

That Air is awful dangerous stuff...

imark

Will_D

I think maybe? its a colour coding thing:

Oxygen hose ARE blue
Acetylene ARE Red
Propane is Orange
Nat Gas is also Orange?