• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:42:34 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Large Stock Pot - 30L

Started by Saruman (Reuben Gray), February 27, 2013, 12:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

I'm in the market for a second fermenter. I used to use a converted keg but had to leave that at my Westmeath house due to space.
I currently use a glass carboy but would rather not go glass again. I have not used plastic buckets in years.
What I am looking at is a large stock pot.
TheBeerClub.ie has these 30L pots for €40 so I'm wondering has anyone bought one?

Incidentally, I probably would not use that for a boiler. I might want something thicker and more durable. Such as this 36L heavy duty one from MyBeerAndWine.ie As it stands, I'm happy enough with my plastic bucket boiler.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Greg2013

That mybeerandwine is a great site allright but jaysus you couldn't buy his gear at the prices he charges :'(

There is a 28.5 litre one for sale in Heatons for 26 euro.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Oooh 28.5 should be big enough.
Is that Heatons in Blanch?
Reuben Gray

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Never mind, the store checker confirms it's available. Nice one, I know where I'm going after work and before I head in to W.J Kavanagh's
Reuben Gray

Jacob

QuoteNever mind, the store checker confirms it's available. Nice one, I know where I'm going after work and before I head in to W.J Kavanagh's
Can't find it :/ Can you post URL?

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

February 28, 2013, 11:23:06 AM #5 Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:26:36 AM by saruman
Reuben Gray

DEMPSEY

Ask a member of staff if they have a 1 Litre jug and could you use the staff toilets to check it. Tell them your a science Teacher from the local school and with all the cut backs and all, :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Jacob

February 28, 2013, 11:46:18 AM #7 Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:48:21 AM by Jacob
Quotehttp://www.heatonsstores.com/Product/Stanford-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot-30cm/259667/1502020200

Hmm I'm here now but I don't think it's 28.5l
Thanks for the link. Grap a measuring tape and check if pot height is at least 40cm.

Volume = [ch928]r2h

Will_D

If its 30 cm dia then by looking at the photo it is not 30 cm high. Lets say 28 to the absolute top. As you wouldn't fill to absolute brim have to knock off say 8 cms so we have more like 15 litres

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

February 28, 2013, 12:29:46 PM #9 Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:35:57 PM by saruman
I have a 16 litre one at home and this is about the same size.
At most it's about 18.5l
Reuben Gray

DEMPSEY

To hell with the tapes,did you not ask for a jug. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Greg2013

Well if its only 18 litres odd then how the hell are they advertising it for 28.5 litres. I was heading to Waterford next week to get one but i doubt i will now. Of course you could buy it as a 28.5 litre and fill it at home and measure and then if its not bring it back?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Sorry m8 i thought i had found you a good one :-[

Dara

Hi,

I am also beginning to look at stainless fermentors. My beerandwine used to sell a 30L pot for about 42 quid similar looking to thebeerclub.ie one. I have this and use it for a boiler - great job (33L to the brim). I don't have too much homebrew experience but fail to see the obsession with homebrewers and thick gauge steel pots (caveat; unless you have it on gas). I reckon For the average amature brewer thin gauge steel is the way to go - it is easy to drill holes in and it also is easier to get a seal for non-welded fittings. If you drop it, it's easier to repare than a glass carboy. Sorry drunken rant, been drinking a few belgian's this evening. I've a bee in my bonet on stainless steel!

Dara
drinking - Brown porters (plain/oak aged/vanilla)
conditioning - American Amber (Jamil's evil twin)
Fermenting - air

Will_D

QuoteI'm in the market for a second fermenter. I used to use a converted keg but had to leave that at my Westmeath house due to space.
I currently use a glass carboy but would rather not go glass again. I have not used plastic buckets in years.

I would not use a stockpot as a secondary fermenter. The lid is not airtight.

For Primary I use a fermenting bucket with a air lock.

For secondary I either use a wine fermenter with a 4" neck so you get your hand inside or a poly pressure barrel fitted with an airlock
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing