• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 01:14:20 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

30cm SS false bottom for cooler

Started by imark, May 28, 2013, 08:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imark

Has anybody bought the SS 30cm false bottom from HBC? http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/false-bottom-ss-30cm-diameter-p-1482.html
Is it just the picture or are the bits in the center brass?

Ciderhead

fizzypish

Is there something wrong with brass?

Garry

I was looking at another one here which comes in a bit cheaper using parcel motel. This one looks like a stainless barb although I don't think brass would be a problem.

I'd like the Ikea tray idea but it would cost me 70 or 80€ to go up to Dublin for the day!

Did ye get the Igloo coolers? I ordered one over the weekend but they are out of stock! I'll have to wait another week or so.

imark

Yeah coolers arrived on Monday. Think a 30cm bottom will be perfect.
I don't like paying more for brass when there's stainless available at a similar price. I think I'll shell out for a good false bottom and SS ball valve at the right price.
Might strip parts of manifold and spigot from my old met in the meantime. Going to brew in this over the weekend. If it helps with thermals I'll be happy. If it improves efficiency I'll  e delighted

imark

Quote from: Garry on May 29, 2013, 02:42:41 PM
I was looking at another one here which comes in a bit cheaper using parcel motel. This one looks like a stainless barb
Nice one! I'm waiting on confirmation from.  Hbc that it's all SS. If it is I'll source elsewhere.

imark

Shane at thehomebrewcompany confirmed they're fully SS. The picture on the site is deceptive.

I've gone and ordered from them and should get it tomorrow.  8)

Ciderhead

don't forget your member discount  :)

imark

Padraic

Quote from: imark on May 30, 2013, 03:22:46 PM
Shane at thehomebrewcompany confirmed they're fully SS. The picture on the site is deceptive.

I've gone and ordered from them and should get it tomorrow.  8)

Any chance of a few pictures when it arrives?

imark

No problem. I'll try and capture it in a few snaps.

imark

Was hoping to put this together today but couldn't find any 1/2" SS washers in b&q. :'(

imark

Looked for brass washer 1/2" ID too. No joy. I need it to keep the silicone gasket tight.

Did you get yours finished yet?

Shanna

Tube

Do you have a compression fitting where the 1/2" pipe is going in? If so would you consider using a length of ptfe tape? I have a right angle brass bend connected to a 1/2" pipe at the bottom of my mash tun.  The pipe runs along the bottom of the outside the tun and is connected via a chrome connector with a compression fitting in one side v and a threaded section on the other side that screws in to a stainless steel tap.  I had a few small leaks to begin with but about 1/2 foot of ptfe tape sorted it out. So far so good and if your concerned about nasties lurking in there you can I always take it apart remove,  clean and replace the tape.  The tape is high temp so should not present a problem as it also goes on the outside of the pipe and will have minimal contact with the wort.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ciderhead

Decent plumbers merchants have brass compression washers to allow for interchangeability of fittings.