• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:45:46 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wolstan Haven Brewery

Started by DEMPSEY, June 04, 2013, 03:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Thinking now of moving the dip tube to the side. This will leave some wort in the middle but should help with the whirlpooling.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

Would imagine having it at the side would be best alright. If the cone develops in the center it'll displace some wort so the losses shouldn't be unacceptable. Probably a much simpler build too.

Stitch

Brian Just as quick question. I do not see any extraction?? Do you have that and it is not in the pictures or is a future upgrade?

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Stitch on June 11, 2013, 10:51:21 AM
Brian Just as quick question. I do not see any extraction?? Do you have that and it is not in the pictures or is a future upgrade?
When you say extraction,do you mean the steam from the boil kettle,if so your right it is not shown on the pictures. I will be posting up some more pictures soon showing it and the counterflow system which now has a chiller unit (Brenmurph's advice). This will allow me to drop the temp of the boiled wort lower than the current ground water temp which is approx 15C.

Hop Bomb

What are you using as a pre chiller? Ice bucket & another coil or something fancier?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

DEMPSEY

The cooler/chiller I will be using is a undercounter pub flash cooler.
The initial water I plan to flow through the counterflow will be direct ground water so as to take out the 95 degree+ wort temp and when that's done I can redirect the ground water through the chiller to bring down the rest of the wort temp.

DEMPSEY

Some more work has being done,nearly there ::),
redesign of the dip tube to now draw from the side

DEMPSEY

The 2 other bent tubes are the wort transfer from the mash tun and the whirlpool return pipe,
whirlpool pipe

DEMPSEY

The counterflow chiller first showing it supplied direct from ground water then redirected to pass through the chiller and back to the counterflow 

DEMPSEY

Next the clear/braided pipe sends the ground water up to the chiller which it passes through and returns via the green pipe to flow through the counterflow.

DEMPSEY

Finally the water,having passed through the counterflow chiller is passed out through the she, ???brewery wall ;) and down the drain. I have a split on the pipe to allow me fill a bucket with the first runnings as that would be hot water and ideal for cleaning up.

Dr Jacoby

Once again, amazeballs  8)

Where did you source the pub cooler? How cold does the water get running through it?
Every little helps

Rossa

Quote from: DEMPSEY on June 12, 2013, 03:48:58 PM
The 2 other bent tubes are the wort transfer from the mash tun and the whirlpool return pipe,
whirlpool pipe

Where did you get the ss tubing and where did you get the silicone tubing? AND what size are they all?

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Dr Jacoby on June 12, 2013, 04:11:03 PM
Once again, amazeballs  8)

Where did you source the pub cooler? How cold does the water get running through it?
I bought 2 coolers a few years back when they became available on donedeal,only now getting to use one. Tested it and got the ground water flowing at 1.7 degree C.
Quote from: Il Tubo on June 12, 2013, 04:42:21 PM
Looks good! But can this not be done a bit simpler? It sticks out a lot for something that is there to avoid creating turbulence in the whirlpool.
not really,I have a 1/2" barrel nipple welded in and now only need 10m pipe to pass through it so what your looking at is a 1/2" nipple with a 10mm reducer fitted to allow the 10mm stainless pipe pass through it,then a 10mm elbow to get a bend.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Rossa on June 12, 2013, 05:59:14 PM
Where did you get the ss tubing and where did you get the silicone tubing? AND what size are they all?
I bought the stainless steel tubing a good while ago but the source is gone. You can get it from http://www.totalstainless.ie/ and you can get some from B&Q. The B&Q is imperial sizes but is not seamless. Seamless tubing is ideal because it will bend free hand without kinking.