• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 04:52:41 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Just started on my 1st kit

Started by CB_Phil, June 10, 2013, 12:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

Quote from: johnrm on June 10, 2013, 09:38:47 PM
I have found that when tightening the Spigot on buckets, resist the temptation of turning the easier-to-grip tap.
Tighten the nut on the INSIDE of the bucket.
If you tighten the tap from the outside, the gasket can move and you can end up if moving into the gap between the hole and the thread on the spigot.
You probably won't have a leak, but it can weep, the biggest concern being the risk of infection.

I put the gasket on the inside and tighten from the tap side! Is this wrong! I assume the gasket is food safe? It made more sense to me to have the gasket on the inside?

Chris

I found it is very easy to over tighten those taps which causes a bad seal. This can cause a small leak like you've got. I also tried to fix it, not a good idea, I forgot I couldn't get at the nut on the inside without putting my hand into the beer. Luckily I had a second fermenter and just racked the whole thing into that loosing only a few pints and making a horrible mess.  :P
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

johnrm

Put the seal on the outside.
Put the tap in place and tighten both sides until you have contact.
Tighten from the inside only.
Rotate the Spigot ONLY thru' 90deg as Garry said, NOT the Spigot Body.

Liquid can and will work its way along the thread regardless of how tight it is if the seal is on the inside.
You need to make sure your hole inside and out is sanitised too.

CB_Phil

I guessed a with all rubber gaskets, you just tighten & nip up a bit more. Sanitising now, never thought of the tap itself. We'll see how it works out, hopefully it'll be drinkable by the end of it

johnrm

I'm sure it'll be fine Phil.
Make sure you have another kit lined up for when you've bottles off the first batch so you can immediately apply all you have learned!

Dunkel

Quote from: johnrm on June 10, 2013, 09:52:56 PM

You need to make sure your hole inside and out is sanitised too.

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?  ;D

CB_Phil

Well today its looking ok, leak has gone, temp is bout 21c & its got a bit of a head on it (viewed thru the vessel, not removing the lid & the bubbles happily bubbling away which I guess is a good sign. Giving off a good smell too, so hopefully I might actually have something drinkable @ the end of it all.

johnrm

Quote from: Dunkel on June 11, 2013, 11:09:18 AM
Theres always one...  ???

montofk

Quote from: johnrm on June 11, 2013, 12:09:44 PM

reminds me of something I read recently whilst looking up thoughts on whether or not to squeeze hop bags when finished.... the subject of star sanning your hands came up which prompted a reply that "you should never squeeze your sack with dirty hands" ???
Wise words if I ever heard them.

LordEoin

Quote from: johnrm on June 11, 2013, 12:09:44 PM
Make that two. I was about to quote the exact same bit. totally forgot what I was actually going to type now  ;D

CB_Phil

Ready to bottle I think, been sitting round 1016 for the last few days. Hydrometer however recommends to hang on till 1006 to stop over pressurizing. Should I leave it a few days before I start?

Garry

If you're getting the same reading for 2 or 3 days then it's probably gone as far as it will go. Although 1016 does sound a little on the high side? It might be worth calibrating your hydrometer. If you check what your hydrometer is reading in water at 20°C. It should read 1.000. If not, then just take a note of the difference, and add or subtract the difference from the reading your getting in future. My own hydrometer 2 or 3 points out.

CB_Phil

Thanks again Garry, Ill check the hydrometer out. Im just taking the reading from a straight sample from the FV, should I be doing anything before Itake a reading?

Garry

Quote from: CB_Phil on June 20, 2013, 10:34:26 AM
Im just taking the reading from a straight sample from the FV, should I be doing anything before Itake a reading?

What your doing is fine. Ideally the beer should be at 20°C when you take the gravity but the variation is minimal for what we're doing. There's a correctional calculator here if you want to play around with it. Let's say the beer was at 25°C when you measured 1.016, then the actual gravity at 20°C would be 1.017. Not worth worrying about!

CB_Phil

Ive got Brewzor app alright. Im @ 21c, so its pretty much the correct reading. The hydrometer is bout 1-2 points over, so I guess Im 1014, still a little high. Ill check tomorrow & see if its just reducing slowly. Be bit stupid for me to rush this bit I guess. sure its not @ the 2 weeks mark yet even