• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:33:48 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Simple Cascade Blonde Ale

Started by Ciderhead, November 25, 2012, 08:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

November 25, 2012, 08:30:44 PM Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:47:52 PM by Ciderhead
First time using US05, probably snob value viz liquid yeasts.  Just kegged and force carbed this overnight and for something so simple it was really really clean and has lovely cascade element.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Johns Cascade Blonde
Brewer: John O' Connell
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.50 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.50 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 20.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.30 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (4.8 EBC)         Grain         1        100.0 %      
25.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop        2        15.6 IBUs    
15.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop        3        4.6 IBUs      
1.00 Items           Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)        Fining        4        -            
25.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min          Hop        5        1.3 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         6        -            

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.30 kg
----------------------------
Name                Description                             Step Temperature   Step Time          
Mash In             Add 12.01 l of water at 77.4 C          67.8 C             60 min             

Sparge: Recipe calls for Batch sparge with 2 steps (6.44l, 14.15l) of 75.6 C water

I just fly sparged and ended out at over 80% efficiency!

Notes:

------

rukkus

I've brewed similar and it went down very well. I've done a similar smash using NS hops that was very good also. I think i used US-05 on both of them.

I'm a big fan of a nice simple smash. I find they turn out very well and are great fun to brew as they are really easy.

Ciderhead

QuoteWhat was the FG?

BTW, if you want spacing to be even, select the text in question and change the font to Courier New.

Finished out at 1.011 6.3% which is too heavy for me
Having said that it was very bitter to start with but working through it over the holidays it has definitely mellowed out.

Ciderhead

QuoteI've brewed similar and it went down very well. I've done a similar smash using NS hops that was very good also. I think i used US-05 on both of them.

I'm a big fan of a nice simple smash. I find they turn out very well and are great fun to brew as they are really easy.

Interesting podcast recently from Beersmith where suggestion was SMASH is the future as was the case in history based on ingredients available and that we are all overcomplicating our recipies :o