• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:35:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brew house build

Started by Damo, October 21, 2012, 07:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damo

Hi All

I've started my long awaited brewhouse build.

For anyone interested im going to start this thread on its build/progress over the next number of weeks!!

I have a number of criteria im going to try follow during its construction:

1) Self build. (with The exception of power supply)

2) To build as cheaply as possible with out compromise on quality and functionality.

3) To not only have the ability to house a 3 keg system. but to double up as bike storage and work shop.

This brewhouse is going to be a timber frame construction sitting on low block rising walls.

I'm into my 3rd weekend of construction, its going at a slow but consistant pace. Family and life seem to be getting in my way.

some photo's

Brewhouse location

Digging trench for water supply

Digging out foot print and foundations

Foundations in and new drainage connections for floor drain and guttering

Rising walls in with hardcore base compacted

Thats it so far!

I hope to get the floor drain in probably monday or tuesday eve and then pour the floor on wednes day or thursday.

At this stage im open to ideas.
I hope this project keeps you interested.

Thanks for looking.

Damo

DEMPSEY

Top notch there. Before you fill that trench, have you talked to your electrician about getting your supply in. He will need to go to your fuse board and take the power from there,full trottle like so you dont run into a power shortage in the new brewhouse. Great idea on the floor drainage. All brewers need to be able to slosh water around when cleaning and such.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Damo

Thanks Tube

Yeah that sounds like a good idea.

I'll have to think about my build plan, or lack of one!
In terms of writing it as a series, i'd have no idea how. again, let me think

Damo

one step ahead on power.  Ive spoken to my sparks who has suggested we take a tee from meter box using 16sq.
(wth the use of isolators and such like)

That trench has been filed in. a new trench will have to be excavated for power supply, Im probably a few weeks away from that stage of the build.

please keep the comments and ideas comming

Thanks  :)

DEMPSEY

October 21, 2012, 08:23:46 PM #4 Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:25:32 PM by DEMPSEY
When you say the meter box, do you mean the one outside your house that the ESB man reads. Do the ESB lads allow this. I ask because if I go ahead and build my new shed, my outside meter box is nice and accessible.

Damo

October 21, 2012, 08:32:28 PM #5 Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:34:50 PM by Damian
To Be honest

Im not 100% sure, I will of course seek confirmation before I proceed.

Like i said, im pretty good to tackle everything myself except electricity!!

Any sparks on-board? ;)

Tube, your probably right. I will check with sparks again.

A new trench needs to be dug, no other way around it.

DEMPSEY

Is the floor drain going to be the long box type.

Damo

yes

Its an acco type which will be modified to run into a gully riser which wil sit on the gully top in the photo

Damo

Cool thanks

I think I'll have to revisit to power supply situation

Padraic

That looks great so far Damo, I wish I had that kind of space on my balcony!

Best of luck with the build!

I will be watching jealously!

Will_D

What about a water supply? You would need a mains fed cold water pipe and an optional ( and a VERY WELL insulated hot water supply ) from the house would be VERY convienient. Solar suppliers now have a HW pipe surrounded by about 50 mm of PU foam in a black poly outer that would be ideal for domestic HW to the shed.

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Damo

October 21, 2012, 10:00:57 PM #11 Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:01:34 PM by Damian
Hey

Thanks Padraic, I think I'm beginning to get very excited myself.  I think when you start to document things they become all of sudden very real!

Will,  Water supply was the first job I tackled.  If you look at the first picture you can just see a coil of half inch hydrodare against the fence. (Thats what the trench was for).
You can also see it in the last pic, I have a commercial stainless steel free standing sink sourced but, not quiet aquired yet!  My younger bro is also a plumber, he reckons he can pick up an under counter water heater for pence :).

thats the plan....... ;)

Damo

Hi All

Progress so far!

The week worked out as planned.  On tues after work I managed to get the floor drain installed and set to the correct level.

Today, Despite the damp drizzley morning I took a couple of hours off work to fit steel and pour concrete. I hit it with a power float this evening and I am pretty happy with the finish.

Steel mesh and plastic membrane

Finished floor

It only occured to me last night that I have a long w'end ahead of me.
On sat, I hope top get the block wall built and try collect some pressure treated 4x2 so I can get started on the timber frame walling.

Wish me luck!! :)

DEMPSEY

Any reason you have decided to build the walls using timber and not block.

Damo

October 25, 2012, 08:44:12 PM #14 Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:46:25 PM by Damian
QuoteWhere's the jacks going?

LOL, Dont be giving me ideas.

Hey Dempsey

I suppose this started out as a shed, and still is!

Im a lot more comfortable working with timber rather than block. I also think its going to work out cheaper in the long run.

I think this will make a lot more sense when you see it coming along.....and on...