• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:43:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Theoretical brew

Started by Dunkel, June 20, 2013, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunkel

Whilst meditating with a pint I thought of a system for extract brewing, and can't see anything wrong with it. What are the problems with the following?

1) In a 20 or 25 litre stockpot on top of the cooker, do a partial boil of 12 litres water, half the malt extract (say 1.5 kg LME) and all the hops at the appropriate times.

2) At flameout, add ice (with no nasties in) directly into the stockpot to cool wort quickly.

3) Dissolve other half of LME into 2 litres boiling water in fermentation vessel.

4) Strain contents of stockpot into FV, top up to 23 litres.

5) Rest as normal.

I haven't tried this in practice - somebody with more experience than me (not difficult), why is this not done?

JD

Sanitizing the ice will be fun. You'll need a lot of ice to get 12L @100oC down to pitching temp (say 28oC). Off the top of my head, and assuming the specific heat of wort is the same as water, which it's not, you'll require about 10kg of ice. You'll need to have boiled that much water beforehand to make the ice sanitary and you'll need to keep it sanitary while it cools enough to be put in the freezer as well. Apart from that tho...

delzep

Simply add the ice to the boiled wort then boil it all to sterili.....oh wait hang on

beerfly

The extracts I did I was boiling 1/2 the dme in 4-6l then added water to bring it to about 21l and that normally got it to pitching temps, those are rough values off the top of my head.   

Ideally you would not want to do it at that volume but it is doable

I'm pretty sure my only infection was caused by adding ice to try cool the fermenter last summer

Dunkel

Oh well, back to the drawing board. More meditation and more pints needed methinks.

JD

Quote from: Il Tubo on June 20, 2013, 10:37:44 PM
Justin, is that s superscript letter O you're using for a degree symbol?
A superscript lowercase 'o'. I know, I know, I'm a pedant. I also get a warm glow out of correctly punctuating SMS messages.  I'm going straight to Hell ;D

LordEoin

You can also just hold alt and type 0176 for temperatures that are over 9000° cooler

johnrm

Recently working on a US Laptop keyboard I had to resort to Keyboard map and copy/paste a f'n \ to do some deskside support.
Finance users it seems never have a need for that symbol...

AdeFlesk

Order an Ice carving that could hold the pot in ,  http://www.icecompanyinc.ie/index.html    you just need to find some one with a walk in freezer to store the carving between brews.

Ciderhead

10 Icream tubs in freezer

irish_goat

You'd need extra hops to account for the decreased utilisation you get from having a smaller boil volume as well.

Dunkel

Quote from: irish_goat on July 13, 2013, 12:04:56 PM
You'd need extra hops to account for the decreased utilisation you get from having a smaller boil volume as well.

Even though you'd only be boiling in half the malt extract, giving a SG of say 1040?