• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:32:20 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mixed Gas Setup

Started by Metattron, January 25, 2013, 06:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metattron

Any mixed gas users out there?  I'm currently all CO2 but I spotted a mixed gas reg on ebay and got it cheap, so I'm thinking of adding that to my setup now.

Any hints or tips for the new user?  Which mix of gas would be best for the home brewer?  I usually do pale ales, stouts, reds and the occasional alt or bock, so I'm looking for a jack of all trades type setup.

Should I look into using a stout tap or will my existing flow control taps be ok?

Which pressure should I server at with mixed gas?

Any info greatly appreciated!
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Will_D

Stout is dispensed on 25% CO2 & 75% Nitogen.

Lagers and ales tend to be 50/50. You can use stout gas on lager but not the other way round!

As people point out empty cylinders (probably out of test date) are available but the difficulty is getting them filled. One or two of the mobile bar rental companies MAY refill them. Give them a ring and see.

As I have mentioned in the A-Z equipment wiki you can always go legit ( Shock Horror )

See here: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/wiki/doku.php?id=storage_equipment
A bottle of 25/75 from BOC will cost about €40 for the fill and about €75 per year rental ( exact figures are in the wiki )

You will pay about that for a dodgy fill and so why not spend a €1-50 a week and be safe in the knowledge that you are legit!!

Lets face it, thats less than buying one bottle of stout in a shop a week!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

JimmyM

Mettatron is actually up in newry anyway - I believe BOC are actually a bit easier to deal with up there.
I remember a guy in belfast on beoir said he had no probs setting up an acc and it didnt cost the earth.
Formerly JamesM.

Will_D

QuoteMettatron is actually up in newry anyway - I believe BOC are actually a bit easier to deal with up there.
I remember a guy in belfast on beoir said he had no probs setting up an acc and it didnt cost the earth.

If you follow the link and read it, BOC in Ballymun have no probs whatsoever in openning a private account!!

The notion that BOC were "Elitest, only dealt with registered company and the like" emanated from th UK in the "Good Old Days" Thet are now more than happy to money from anyone
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Damo

February 05, 2013, 09:41:58 PM #4 Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:02:18 PM by Damian
Hi

Dont know how I missed this first time around.

Yeah, Im a mixed gas user(sounds like an addiction :D)

I've been serving 'nitro stout' for about two years.

The system I have uses 70/30 mixed gas with a pre-set regulator and a pub style stout tap.

I get my gas refilled about every 3-4 months from a bar hire company for approx.€40 a tank.

The only tip I could give would be to not prime your keg! this is very important. if you do you'll end up with about 6inches of foamy head.

Here's a coulpe of pics:

Metattron

That's the effect I'm looking for right there. Stout gas would do the job.  Need to get a stout tap, where'd you get yours Damo?  I tried emailing  Boc about a bottle of sure mix and was told take a hike. Walking in may be better though. Tried emailing the brew crew too, got a reply but said I was from Newry and no word since. Anyone use anyone else?
In primary:

JimmyM

Thats cool Damo - where did ya get the reg?
Formerly JamesM.

newToBrew

hey Metatron - I threw this link up in the for sale section the other day :

http://touch.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/beer-gas/2556807/

its not me - I don't know the dude or anything - never dealt with him - just found the ad when browsing adverts
what caught my eye was in his comments he mentioned he could source mixed gas

might be worth contacting him ??
coz theres always something new to do

Metattron

Just got a tank of suremix 25 from him, still sealed.  He only has 3 bottles and no refill options but it'll do for a while.  Looking forward to a creamy coconut stout!
In primary:

newToBrew

February 07, 2013, 03:09:04 PM #9 Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:09:57 PM by newToBrew
cool!

what did he charge you for it? how did you get it ? collection ?
I cant access
adverts in work so can't remember where he is situated

* edit - pic  is of boot of your car right ? collection so !!!
coz theres always something new to do

Metattron

€65 for the bottle.  Collected it in Bray at lunchtime.  Should get a fair few kegs out of it so won't have to get a refill for a while.  Damo, what pressure do you serve at?  When you say don't prime your keg do you mean not to force carb it first, just fill the keg and serve?
In primary:

Damo

February 11, 2013, 11:40:37 PM #11 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:43:47 PM by Damian
Sorry Lads

again I dont know how I missed replies..

Jimmy, I Picked up the reg from a bar man I know ;)

Tube
yep, the head stays till the last drop. very much like you know what

Mettatron
I've never had to do anything with my reg. I'm presumming its sealed. I cant see any way to adjust serving pressure.
and to be honest I dont want to go messin with it.

When I say dont prime!, thats exactly what I mean

I've had a couple of bad experiences that nearly put me off nitro stout till I figured out what was wrong.
I usually just purge out any O2 with mixed gas and then seal up keg as normal with mixed gas.
I would then put the keg to cold condition for a couple of weeks or so before I'd go near it.

Since ive started doing this I've not had a problem ;)

Sorry for being so slow with reply, any questions just fire away!!!

slayerking

Damo, where did you get the stout tap? They seem fairly hard to come by unless you order them from the US.
Also, how does the tap perform when you use straight CO2 to serve?

Looking to get my hands on a stout tap, and maybe look to get mixed gas reg and tank down the line?

Shanna

February 12, 2013, 11:17:12 PM #13 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:55:10 AM by doshanahan
Hi Metatron,

Was wondering with the bottle you bought was it actually a bog standard no name bottle? Asking to confirm that it is not a bottle liberated from one, of the breweries via a pub? Also.if you would not mind paying a picture of the valve please as I have a regulator that I would like to confirm it would fit before I try buy a bottle.

Declan
Quote€65 for the bottle.  Collected it in Bray at lunchtime.  Should get a fair few kegs out of it so won't have to get a refill for a while.  Damo, what pressure do you serve at?  When you say don't prime your keg do you mean not to force carb it first, just fill the keg and serve?
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

rukkus

February 12, 2013, 11:56:54 PM #14 Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:58:40 PM by rukkus
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORNELIUS-TYPE-CHROME-TAP-/321062310524?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item4ac0ce127c&_uhb=1 i got one of these for a stout tap, it came with the restrictor plate etc but i did ask before i ordered. Tube also got one that didnt include one so if ordering one ask the seller first. They are a great tap at that price.