• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:07:09 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mixed Gas Setup

Started by Metattron, January 25, 2013, 06:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metattron

My mixed gas reg is fixed so not sure what the pressure is, pretty high anyway.  I put the gas on the keg and put it in the fridge at 8C for the 2 days.  All gone now, but I've put a Red Ale on the mixed gas last night so I'll see how it turns out this weekend.  I'll check the recipe tonight too, I know I added extra heading malts to it as it had the coconut in it and the oils would have left it with little or no head otherwise. That may be why it takes so long to settle as well.  But it was worth the wait!
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

DEMPSEY

Cornelius nitrogen bar machine. 8-)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Metattron

For the stout my grain bill was:

3.00 kg      Pale Malt  UK (5.9 EBC)                   63.8 %       
0.50 kg      Oats, Malted  (3.9 EBC)                   10.6 %       
0.40 kg      Crystal, Medium  (100.0 EBC)          8.5 %         
0.20 kg      Amber Malt (60.0 EBC)                    4.3 %         
0.20 kg      Chocolate Malt  (1060.0 EBC)          4.3 %       
0.20 kg      Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC)               4.3 %       
0.10 kg      Roasted Barley  (1300.0 EBC)          2.2 %         
0.10 kg      Black  (1280.0 EBC)                        2.1 %         

That's quite a selection, using up the dregs from the store cupboard.  The mash was at 70C for 45 minutes.
In primary:

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Ciderhead

Guys just reading this so there seems to be 2 routes that will result in the same thing?
1) carbonate with Co2 and serve under mixed gas
2) just carbonate with mixed gas.

Is that a fair summation?
I ask as I have the mixed gas, a controllable mixed gas reg and a communion next week end!

Sent from my mediocre phone and an average phone app

Metattron

I've done a couple with just the mixed gas and it give a very smooth pint with a nice white cap.  No fizz to the beer at all when you are drinking it.  If that's what you're looking for then I can recommend that route.  I think someone said not to force carb earlier in the thread, but my first keg on mixed was partially carbed and poured fine.  It was on 30psi for 1 day just at room temp so may not have been too carbed to begin with.
In primary:

magnethead

I've just very gently forced carbed and poured with Nitro through the creamer tap, and the results are very good, Mcgrath seemed to like it too.  :P

I'm leaning toward the american debate on this posted earlier, I think for the Homebrewer, Nitrogenation is way way out of his ability (50,000 euro for some of these machines)....
To get Nitrogen into beer is very difficult.

I think when Beer is hooked up to Nitro gas and left for a few days, It's just absorbing the partial pressure of CO2 in Nitro gas, same as force carbing at low pressure.

But if you have loads of Beer Nitro gas on hand, it's simpler to just hook it up and forget.  I think a few experiments to compare are in order :)

Metattron

I've had a red ale on for a while now and did not force carb it either, just left it on the mixed gas for about a week in the fridge.  Pours with a very fine creamy head and forms a nice cap that says till the end of the pint.  I's another full bodied beer, only mashed for 45 mins.  The stout was also full bodied and poured just about as creamy as it looked.  My gas is suremix 25 - Guinness gas.  What mix is yours magnethead?
In primary:

Metattron

BTW - that guy that was selling kegs on done deal ( http://nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2364.0.html ) had a bunch of large nitrogen tanks too, if that of any use to anyone.  I never checked if they were full - too big for my use, but it might be worth asking him as he was willing to let them go for whatever he could get for them.
In primary: