• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 02:06:18 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast to use in a Boddington Ale Clone recipe

Started by Shanna, January 04, 2013, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Hi there,

Having lived/worked in England for some of the 1990 I spent a a bit of time drinking boddingtons (cream of Manchester ;-)

I would love to be able to try brew some of this. I found the following extract recipe (that by happy coincidence it matches most of the hops I just purchased).

See http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7281 for details.

It recommends using the following yeast  Wyeast #1968 Special London Ale (or other suitable ale yeast) made up to a 1 quart (1 litre) starter. Can anybody recommend a good substitute for this yeast?

I was thinking of the following yeast
WHITE LABS WLP002 ENGLISH ALE YEAST or WHITE LABS WLP013 LONDON ALE YEAST?

Regards,

Declan
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Hop Bomb

I used notty today on your advice. It was my time doing a starter. Worked a treat too - the stout has the best krausen of any of my brews.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Will_D

Are you going to dispense on Nitro? Thats what the cream-flow is all about.

When I lived in Salford in the 70s ( 1 km from the brewery ) it was proper cask Boddies none of the modern foammy creammy stuff UGH!!

Good luck tho.

It was my interest in creating Marstons Pedigree form kits in the 80s that got me solidly innto HB
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Partridge9

QuoteYeah, Notty has a kind of a nice roundness to it. Like S04 without the twang.

Carlow Brewing use Notty in *all* their beers, bar none.

Boddingtons is a clean creamy beer - so +1 on the Notty

Not your typical english ale in my book

WLP002 - is fullers
WLP005 - is nice for stouts

Shanna

Hi Will,

Considering I am a neophyte when it comes to both kegging and cask I can't really comment on the merits of either. I had a moment of nostalgia (or was that drunken memories relived) when checking out some beer recipes a while back. I lived in Leeds and London for a period during the 1990s and rightly or wrongly (taste wise) spent a fair bit of time drinking Boddingtons. I am also interested in brewing stout so will probably go down the nitro/stout setup in the not so distant future.

Declan
QuoteAre you going to dispense on Nitro? Thats what the cream-flow is all about.

When I lived in Salford in the 70s ( 1 km from the brewery ) it was proper cask Boddies none of the modern foammy creammy stuff UGH!!

Good luck tho.

It was my interest in creating Marstons Pedigree form kits in the 80s that got me solidly innto HB
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member