• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 23, 2024, 11:33:07 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Biggest extract brewing mistakes 2012..

Started by Fal, January 03, 2013, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fal

In preparation for another year of brewing I thought I'd try and start a thread to share the biggest extract brewing mistakes of 2012 made so that I can learn off others

1. Buying amber malt because it was cheaper. I brewed 2 pale ale batches for a party using amber malt because it was slightly cheaper. To me it felt like I had 2 'drinkable' batches but definatly not the best i've done.

2. Pitching directly onto the trub of a previous brew. This was an experiment that went wrong, the krauzen popped the lid off the fermenter within a few hours of pitching. I did learn more about correct pitching rates but the batch was very dry tasting and the hop's flavour just didnt come through as mutch as i expected.

Anyone else willing to share their mistakes??

...used to be NewBier

Ciderhead

Thinking my powerwasher was a great way to clean trub out of buckets

rukkus

Too much steam in the kitchen can and will get into an electrical socket, trip power in the room and need replacing :/

Ciderhead

QuoteSome people are so lazy....

it worked a treat, yeast monster running around the yard though

Ciderhead

January 03, 2013, 09:20:59 PM #4 Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:29:56 PM by Ciderhead
Dodgy poppet on a keg wasn't replaced resulting in a complete rain of beer all over my kegorator and loss of nearly a full tank of gas >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :(

Padraic

QuoteToo much steam in the kitchen can and will get into an electrical socket, trip power in the room and need replacing :/

Steam melts the glue of laminated cabinets as well! (I've heard)

Partridge9

Rinsing out your better bottle with boiling water ..

when it clearly says no liquid above 70c on the side.

It turns your better bottle from a 19l to a 500ml evian bottle  :-[ :-[

johnrm

Running boiling water through a little bottler warps it.

brian_c

Don't forget to take the glass thermometers out of the bucket full of starsan before emptying it down the drain.

LordEoin

You cannot boil hops in your kitchen kettle, no matter how drunk you are or how good an idea it seems at the time...

rukkus

Super heating can happen if boiling a starter in a microwave. First time I've seen exploding wort.