• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 03:19:30 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Extract stout recipes

Started by loftybush, January 02, 2013, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loftybush

So I have happened across some extra dark spraymalt and decided to brew up some extract dark ale or stout.

I have a little bit of crystal malt, and some smoked malt.
On the hops front I have fuggles, EKG, magnum, perle, cascade and columbus.

Does anyone have any suggestions of an extract recipe with my limited ingredients above.

Padraic

Any recipies I ever see for extract stouts use pale ale spray malt and dark steeping grains. It's hard to tell what the best way to use the dark dme is as it could have any quantity of black/chocolate/crystal in there.

If I had a stash of dme and crystal malt my first plan would be to lob it all in and bitter with with your magnum and possibly lob in some cascade to finish. You should end up with an american stout with that or something similar!

It could be a good one for the competition as I doubt many people will enter american stouts so you might have a category to yourself! Getting your citrussy finish is the key in american stouts, centennial might work slightly better than cascade but if there is cascade in the fridge that'll do nicely!

loftybush

QuoteAny recipies I ever see for extract stouts use pale ale spray malt and dark steeping grains. It's hard to tell what the best way to use the dark dme is as it could have any quantity of black/chocolate/crystal in there.

If I had a stash of dme and crystal malt my first plan would be to lob it all in and bitter with with your magnum and possibly lob in some cascade to finish. You should end up with an american stout with that or something similar!

It could be a good one for the competition as I doubt many people will enter american stouts so you might have a category to yourself! Getting your citrussy finish is the key in american stouts, centennial might work slightly better than cascade but if there is cascade in the fridge that'll do nicely!
Cheers Padraic, I think I just might try that.

One more question, I also have some wheat DME to use up at the moment.
However I have none of the traditional wheat beer hops. What would be the best ones to use from what I have (fuggles, EKG, magnum, perle, cascade and columbus). Or should I just go very light on the hops front and let the yeast contribute the main flavour?

Padraic

I have no answers for you but I will add a question!

Would using a small quantity of wheat dme be good for head retention?

Partridge9

QuoteI have no answers for you but I will add a question!

Would using a small quantity of wheat dme be good for head retention?

I believe it would. It would add body and enhance head retention.

loftybush

Thinking of doing the following recipe (was looking for a very simple stouty drink.
I'm out of my element here, so any advice appreciated.

Malt & Fermentables
KG                   
3.0       Muntons Plain Extra Dark DME       Boil       
0.5       Biscuit Malt                 Steep       
0.25       Crystal 45                 Steep       

Specific Gravity
    1.052 OG
    1.014 FG

Color
    77° EBC 39° SRM
    Black

Hops
     Usage       Time       Grams                   AA » IBU
Icon       boil       60 min       35       East Kent Goldings ~ leaf       5.3 » 19.2
Icon       boil       60 min       5       Magnum ~ leaf       14.0 » 7.2
Icon       dry hop       7 days       15       East Kent Goldings ~ leaf       5.0 » 0.0

Bitterness
    26.4 IBU

Yeast
Safale S-04 Dry Yeast

Alcohol
    5.1% ABV