• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 06:00:07 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Need a Simple but Effective First Extract Recipe

Started by Covey, March 15, 2013, 06:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Covey

HI Guys,
I want to try extract, but had a look at the HBC site and have no Idea what to go after any one got a nice SNPA clone type recipe. and step by step what i'll need

Thanks
Cove
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did

Richie71

Hi Covey, you should be able to get started with even the most basic equipment. What kind of pots have you got around the house? I've been using a stock pot that holds around 8 to 10 litres and topping up the fv with cold water to get back to the desired temperature.

I'm doing partial extracts a few months now & think the extract kits from HBC are great to start with.  This American Pale Ale was my favourite.  It comes with instructions but you can find a load of vids on you tube to talk you through.  Try this one from Craig.

You might want to skip the kits & jump right in to a recipe to use up those lovely hops you just got.  That bottle of SNPA clone I gave you was brewed from Tube's post of Partridge's write up of Jacob's recipe (have i got that right??) that I got  here.   

Metattron

This is a conversion from an all grain recipe I did.  You'd need a 30l brew pot, though the recipe could be modified to suit your equipment:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.81 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 19.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU
3.00 kg          Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC)           Extract       1        85.7 %       
21.00 g          Northern Brewer [9.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           2        22.2 IBUs    
15.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.30 %] - Boil 30.0 mi Hop           3        5.5 IBUs      
1 Item           Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        4        -            
25.00 g          Cascade [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           5        7.7 IBUs      
50.00 g          Cascade [7.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           6        0.0 IBUs      
0.50 kg          Brew Enhancer 2 (2.0 EBC) - Boil 0.0 min Dry Extract   7        14.3 %       

Cool wort and pitch:

1.0 pkg          Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         8        -            

Add to secondary fermenter:

30.00 g          Amarillo  [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day     Hop           9        0.0 IBUs      

Ingredients are added to the boil in the above order and at the times specified.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob