• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wort chiller, garden hose too big?

Started by pk, April 14, 2013, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk

Hi, for my chiller I'm using 12 mill garden hose and trying to attach this to my 10 mill wort chiller with jubilee clips. Even when I tighten the clips to the point of failure they still don't contain the leaks. What do you guys use?

I can't seem to attach a picture but  it's just water gushing out where the jubilee clips cant create a tight enough seal under the pressure from the outside tap, (turned on halfway)

Thanks
Paul

Kevco5

I cut strips from a silicon baking sheet that I had to make washers for my boiler. A single wrap of the copper pipe with the silicon bridged the gap between pipe and hose and gave a perfect seal when clamped with jubilee clips.

RichC

QuoteHi, for my chiller I'm using 12 mill garden hose and trying to attach this to my 10 mill wort chiller with jubilee clips. Even when I tighten the clips to the point of failure they still don't contain the leaks. What do you guys use?

I can't seem to attach a picture but  it's just water gushing out where the jubilee clips cant create a tight enough seal under the pressure from the outside tap, (turned on halfway)

Thanks
Paul
I cut about 20mm off my siphon tubing. It fits snugly onto the 10mm copper and then that fits snugly into the garden hose. Then jubilee clips to tighten it up and seal.

pk

Great thanks, I have some spare syphon tubing so I'll use that.
Thanks
Paul

LordEoin

I'd use some plumber's tape.
It's cheap as chips.

pk

Got it sorted with some syphon tube cut off as a sleeve. Worked great.

One question.
Do you wash your chiller before you use it each time? If so what do you do? Just rinse under the cold tap?

RichC

Rinse well after use and then just dump into boil at 15mins from end

Partridge9

+1 -
make sure no visible dirt (usually do it at the end of the previous brew) and dump it into the boiler 5 mins from end.