• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:21:08 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Coopers Real Ale Extract Brew w/ grains and hops...

Started by DrowningManatee, March 05, 2013, 04:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrowningManatee

1. was 23 L brew but ended up about 21
2. Bottles are swingtop flensburgers (25) and tyskie bottles (17), all decent quality as far as i can see.
3. FG went down to 1.012
cheers eoin, dya reckon this is ok? i was checking what i normally put in to bottles and multiplying it i got 85g, this is way more (with granulated sugar)?
Thanks again, panic stations here...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

LordEoin

April 04, 2013, 10:23:05 PM #16 Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:23:53 PM by eoinlayton@hotmail
First of all, no point in panicking.

That works out at 8.5grams per liter, on top of a fairly high FG.
You'll probably be alright, I used to prime at 9g/L and never had a problem
But I have some very tough bottles.

Seeing as most of them are in flip-tops anyway, you might aswell just release the pressure after a week to be sure :)
You're not going to be lacking fizz, and it'll give you a reason to 'sample' them frequently for 'quality control' or 'health and safety reasons'  ;D

DrowningManatee

any excuse dude, every cloud has a silver lining, and every day is a school day, and.......... :)

yea so ill go with that, is opening once enough, or should I open a few times? just wondering how much sugar goes into carbonating the beer and how much is evacuated by opening the bottles, as in is it enough opening once? Ill probably just taste test anyway, go by that, all about quality control here :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

LordEoin

I'm no carbonation mathemetician, so I'd say just play it by ear (or mouth)  ;D

DrowningManatee

opened em there, tastes damn good, bit strong on the bittering but flavour tastes strong, like i wanted. The fruit additions are interesting... :-?

Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

LordEoin

If the hops are too strong, dont worry, they'll mellow with age.
I've no idea what will happen with the fruit additions though.
Interesting in a good or a bad way?

DrowningManatee

i dunno how to feel about the fruit additions, definitely interesting, orange is pretty good, strawberry is nice but sickening, vanilla is rank(far too sweet), grapefriuit is light, (probably just right but i need to be sickened to taste what its like if ya know what i mean), lemon is ok (thought this would be the best before), cant remember what i thought about lime.

Dont want the hops to mellow too much, kinda likin the strong flavours out of em, gettin a taste for what this cascade's like now, nearly gettin bored of it, drinkin a hophead in bed at the mo, coulda just opened one o mine instead...   thats pretty cool though.
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

DrowningManatee

i think its a success, had a few the last days and all the fruit additions are tasting good now, great body compared to my others, my best yet for sure, thanks for all the help dudes :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

LordEoin

If they're tasting good now they'll be great with a bit of age.
They're only in the bottle 10 days, so relax and let them age a bit  :)