• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:34:18 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Speciality malt extracts

Started by Jon.Martin, August 04, 2013, 12:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon.Martin

Hi to all, just had an unusually peaceful Sunday morning despite my warring kids. Having thoroughly enjoyed reading through the forum I have been inspired to start extract brewing but I have no sparge tun yet so I will have to go all extract and steeping grains. Is it possible to get all those delicious sounding malts in extract form or am I tied to using generic pale/med/dark malt extracts ?

oconn

speciality need to be steeped like making tea. a handy size pot will do like a stew pot ...grain in bag. hot water. 30 mins.= oxo

Jon.Martin

Quote from: oconn on August 05, 2013, 12:26:55 AM
speciality need to be steeped like making tea. a handy size pot will do like a stew pot ...grain in bag. hot water. 30 mins.= oxo

Cool so crack the grains, steep and add the oxo juice to the fv?

LordEoin

bet to bring the steep juice to a boil between removing grain and adding to FV, in case any nasties are lingering in there.
If you're boiling hops/extract just throw the speciality steep juice in there too.

Jon.Martin

Thanks alot. Just a little bit off topic can I steep the hops and add the juice to the boil or is it better to boil and add hops progressively then throw in the grain steep juice?

irish_goat

Quote from: Jon.Martin on August 07, 2013, 06:44:14 PM
Thanks alot. Just a little bit off topic can I steep the hops and add the juice to the boil or is it better to boil and add hops progressively then throw in the grain steep juice?

You'll get better hop utilisation by adding the hops to the boil.

Jon.Martin

Nice one, I'm getting closer and closer to brew day. Thanks for all the help