• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:32:05 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cheap "quick" disconnects

Started by Garry, August 06, 2013, 03:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

I'm using a solar pump from solarproject like a lot of others on here. I also bought some 12mm silicone tubing and plastic connection nuts from them. I found the plastic nuts a bit fiddly! I don't think they would stand up to too much abuse?

I discovered that a 1/2" qualpex insert will fit into the silicone tube nice and snug so with a 1/2" compression olive and nut I've got a much easier way of making and breaking the connection. Hand tight is usually enough although the nut can get quite hot so a wrench is recommended! I added 1/2" brass nipples to the pump too because I didn't want to damage the plastic threads.

The qualpex inserts also fit a standard garden hose so I'm using these for connecting the water hose to my chiller. They don't leak like the hose connectors I was using.

DEMPSEY

Word of caution,I was gently moving my counterflow unit which is attached to a solar pump and the threaded nipple on the pump just snapped off. Lucky for me I had bolloxed up  ??? an other solar pump so I was able to use the part off its housing. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Ciderhead

they are no load bearing even though they are glass filled resin and will get stressed under temp. Be careful attaching heavy unsupported copper pipe
They are a sh.t design to be honest and should have better radii on valve stem to disperse the load.

christhebrewer

I broke a solar pump ages ago while tightening the connector. Peter, who sells them, very kindly sent me a new housing f.o.c.!
A very decent guy.
I'm very carefull since!  Still a great pump for the money.

Ciderhead

I bought a pump and a load of silicone tubing and he threw in the connectors, very decent chap, but a lot more expensive than china :(