• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:02:43 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

extract recipe advice

Started by Jon.Martin, August 07, 2013, 11:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon.Martin

Hiya lads,

gonna bite the bullet and start my first extract brew. Ive gone and got myself some of HBW's finest own brand pale malt extract 1.1kg, a kilo of crystal malt and a 100g gram bag of cascade also some 'herbal' aroma hop extract just in case. I am at a complete loss as to ratios though and though there is no such thing as a bad beer for me (Ill drink anything), I'd like it to come out as a reasonable lager. Any input much appreciated. Cheers  :)

Dunkel

August 08, 2013, 01:03:29 PM #2 Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:31:48 PM by Dunkel
Hi Jon, just a couple of points. Firstly, if you ordered from HBW, I presume you mean their liquid malt extract; I think you'll find it comes in a 1.5 kg tin. Could have just been a typo. Secondly, what size brew are you aiming for? If you are looking for 5 gallons (23 litres), then it's possible to make with 1.5 kg malt extract and about 1 kg table sugar, but the end beer will taste very thin. Better to use about 3 kg malt extract. Or if you're happy with a brew length of 10 or 12 litres, one tin is enough. Next, are you sure you want a proper lager? You need lager yeast, and a method of keeping the fermentation at a cool temperature (about 7 up to 13 C). Also it'll be an unusual lager with crystal malt, and Cascade hops would not be most people's choice for a lager.
However,  as you don't sound too fussy, why not try a blonde ale or an American Pale Ale? With the ingredients you have, I suggest something like the following:-

1)  Crush 125 grams crystal malt, and place in grain bag
2)  Heat 1 or 2 litres water to around 65 C to 70 C
3)  Steep grain bag in water for 30 minutes
4)  Remove grain bag, allow to drain into pot
5)  Add water to 10 litres
6)  Add malt extract, bring to boil
7)  When boiling, add 10 grams Cascade hops
8 ) After 45 minutes boiling, add another 10 grams Cascade
9)  After further 15 minutes, take off heat and cool
10) Strain pot into fermenter, add water to length if desired
11) Add the yeast, and there you go now baby (Buddy Holly)

This will get you a decent beer, but you can alter the amount of the ingredients to alter the flavours to your taste.  :)

Jon.Martin

Nice one Dunkel,
you've pretty much laid it all out. Indeed a 10-12 litre brew was what i had in mind. You were right about the LME it is 1.5kg and yup i have a mauribrew lager yeast although I am hoping for a cool spell in the weather ;) as I don't have a brew fridge..yet. Hops Hops hops, I know absoultely nothing about them so have had a quick little guess about what to buy in HBW since they didnt have what I wanted, I came home with the cascade as I had been told by someone that they were a good hop for aroma. Anyway as soon as I'm finished my wort chiller I'm gonna try as you suggested with a little extra hops. Cheers dude

Yeah your right I'm not fussy. Best way to learn :)

LordEoin

I agree with Dunkel, without a brewfridge you'd be better off going with an ale yeast, then it would make a nice American Pale Ale with the cascade.
If you can easily get your hands on a pack of US-05 it would be great, otherwise lots of folks will have unused sachets from kits :)