• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 02:33:44 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewery Disinfectant

Started by barkar, August 15, 2013, 08:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

If the galway demand keeps up ye may be buyin the box ( 4 x 5 ltr) for yerselves and have it shipped to galway.

johnrm

Why don't ye do a proper list?
'I'm in' means someone had to trawl the thread and someone will get missed...

Dylan Lane

If I read right, the number is 9. If so, I'd be keen to be number 10.

1. Kevco
2. St. Fursey
3. Drowning Manatee
4. Hop Bomb
5. Eanna
6. J o e
7. Mr. Burns
8. Kev
9.?
10. Rusty

Edited: can't see who I've missed

johnrm

barkar

Quote from: rusty on August 21, 2013, 07:29:41 AM
If I read right, the number is 9. If so, I'd be keen to be number 10.

1. Kevco
2. St. Fursey
3. Drowning Manatee
4. Hop Bomb
5. Eanna
6. J o e
7. Mr. Burns
8. Kev
9.Barkar
10.Rusty

Edited: can't see who I've missed
:)

Hop Bomb

Quote from: johnrm on August 20, 2013, 10:22:46 PM
Why don't ye do a proper list?
'I'm in' means someone had to trawl the thread and someone will get missed...

F off back to your own forum!  ;D  We would have done an official list eventually
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

brenmurph

Been researchin all mornin as its something thats so important in brewing. Ive been brewing since I was 15, 36 years ago and I learned the hard way about sanitation but quickly learned what works and what dosnt. I have been using oxy-action w5 oxypower for over 150 batches of beer and no problems, however a no- rinse steriliser would be very convenient, to be sure and for awkward places and  to save having to resubmerge hoses and so on in the oxy action so im looking to keep using oxy action and getting an instant spray disinfectant as well.

I was chatting with a chemist in another chemical who may be able to make a foaming "starsan" clone and package it for us with a datas sheet an all.

What triggered me to ( on numerous times) try really find out what works is the debates year after year and forum thread after forum thread....no one seems to have a concensus on whats cheapest but effective and can be obtained in bulk rather than an expensive 8oz bottle from america. people are still using hombrew shop tubs of in some cases, sodium percarbonate the same as lidl's oxy power. This is retailed as a steriliser, which I believe it is ;D Vinegar and bleach is not a fav of mine as Id prefer an ozone friendly product. Bleach sodium hypochlorite and vinegar acetic acid some say is effective. VWP and chemipro are other products but arguably expensive if u do a lot of brewing.

Starsan has the exact same safety sheet as Hydrox (acid mix from biocel) call an ambulance if u drink it, inhale it, spill it on skin and so on.. Starsan is a mix of a phosphoric acid ( for descaling / disolving ) limestone  and phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. Thats just as bad as any other acid if you spill on skin so to clarify safety, starsan or hydrox, both equal re health and safety. Follow safery rules carefully.

I was at an event recently and surprised to see starsan sprayed as a mist liberally..... :o when it clearly should be sprayed as a wet spray finely with a mask on ( a 20 cent mask from b& q reuseable).

Slight prob with Biocel, they wont ship with normal courier because it an acid product ( or courier wont take it :P) so we have to collect and distribute. Price is 42 euros for 5 litres and only will be sold in 4 x 5ltr (168 euros) thats including VAT
As we previously mentioned its a 300ppm mix or 6 ml per litre. think how many brewdays will result from a litre :). You can use liberally and not worry about cost too much.
The QC lad at biocel says its best to make a mix as you need (brewday) and its effectiveness is not guaranteed for various reasons e.g water chemistry, contaminants and storage, this applies to starsan as well.
I can arrange account payment and I will pass on a 5 litre container to a responsible person that can do what they like with it as long as ye agree to follow all safety procedures. Gloves, mask, storage in cool dark place with bottle clearly marked and cannot be stored on a metal container.

Any ideas re collecting in cork and getting to Galway and kildare, i can look after dublin.

barkar

If it was brought as far as Dublin , id say we have a few members who travel up and down regularly id imagine the traffic isnt as high Galway -Cork   .

Hop Bomb

Cheers for the tips Bren.

I know myself & Enda will be at the Craft Beer fest in the RDS on the Sat. (if the GB is done & dusted by then) If not Im up there once a month usually.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

brenmurph

JohnRM will pick it up as he passes enroute to work, he say no prob collectin in cork....
if hes headin to RDS wouldnt that be great  Ill check wit him. :)

johnrm

No RDS I'm afraid.
We'll figure something.

Dunkel

August 24, 2013, 12:20:34 AM #26 Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:18:02 PM by Dunkel
@ brenmurph  As I was saying to you at the BJCP course, I'll take a 5l bottle.

"As we previously mentioned its a 300ppm mix or 6 ml per litre."  Have I got this right? I was thinking it was 0.3 ml per litre, and wondering how to measure out that small an amount.

brenmurph

Syringe usually' its 0_6% ok. I hav u down for one don't panic -..regards bren