• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:45:33 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Temperature control system for Keezer- suggestions please!

Started by baconsarnie, August 21, 2013, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baconsarnie

Aiming to upgrade from a small fridge with 2 kegs to a keezer to hold 4 or 5. For the fridge I've been pretty haphazard in temperature control and just moderated the fridge's settings till i got a serving temp i was happy with. Yes, I am bone idle.

Anyways, that won't be an option so has anyone any recommendations for temperature control. I'm looking for something that involved minimal wiring- I won't have time for an additional project.

So I'm basically looking for the "easiest to install and none too pricey option" please (you can call it a lazy Cavan man solution)

montofk

Quote from: baconsarnie on August 21, 2013, 04:16:21 PM
Aiming to upgrade from a small fridge with 2 kegs.....

Just a chancing my arm with a thought but... what are you doing with your old fridge?  :P Where are you based?

baconsarnie

Just a chancing my arm with a thought but... what are you doing with your old fridge?  :P Where are you based?
[/quote]

Haven't started the upgrade yet, just sourcing the parts. Once i get started & have the other fridge available I'll post here

Based in Dublin

baconsarnie

Quote from: Il Tubo on August 21, 2013, 04:22:59 PM
WillHi 7016. An NHC favourite, and plenty on ebay for like €15 delivered or less.

You can turn your fridge up to max and just use it inline (i.e. plug the fridge into a socket wired to the 7016) or a neater solution is to bypass the thermostat.

This one look okay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Keg-Beer-Tap-Kegerator-Keezer-Chest-Freezer-/121092751233

Is bypassing a freezer's thermostat easy? (obviously easy if you know how...can wire a plug and a bit more beside but does it need much dismantling of the freezer etc?)

vonHolt

Fermenting: nada
Conditioning: zip
Drinking: Hacked Muntons Premium Lager kit with Saaz Hops, Chocolate Maple Porter
To Brew: Bruxelles Blonde, Summer Wheat, Jalapeno Saison, Mouten Kop, Bavarienfest

JimmyM

Quote from: vonHolt on August 21, 2013, 05:12:33 PM

Get a parcel motel account and the first two drops are free (If I remember correctly)

Not any more, that ended about a month ago - but i believe they do give you a free towel and pair of slippers as a little pressie though for signing up. And ya get to pick it out of the lockers.
Formerly JamesM.

Ciderhead

Have you had played Parcel Motel slots Yet?.
My 3 kids all pick a locker and then the one closest the locker that actually opens wins a euro. 
Who says brewing isn't a family activity

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on August 21, 2013, 05:22:22 PM
WillHi one is a bit cheaper and more suited to a kegerator as it's quicker and easier to adjust and it can only heat or cool but not both.

Is the STC 1000 not a better option as it does both heating and cooling? Just wondering since i will eventually have to do this myself.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Will_D

Quote from: baconsarnie on August 21, 2013, 05:08:33 PM
Is bypassing a freezer's thermostat easy? (obviously easy if you know how...can wire a plug and a bit more beside but does it need much dismantling of the freezer etc?)
It is easy IF you know what you are doing!!

I know thats glib but its true!

The thermostat is a switch in series with the live supply to the compressor. You just need to disable the .stat by a tinny bit of rewiring.

Usually all the wires are available at the back of the fridge.

If you need help just shout

HTH
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

far easier to use a standalone project box with 2 sockets, one for heating one for cooling, no fridge wire fiddling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TvX1Zz1-Y

Ciderhead

Oh no its not :P
I have 2 fridges and I am fairly sparks aware, I wouldn't touch the thermostats on either let alone gouge it out for an STC, each fridge has different wiring  :o.

Greg2013

Ok i am going to hijack this somewhat :P I have a chest freezer (Haier) that is very under utilized currently, if i was to purchase an STC 1000 would it be a simple matter of wiring it in between the supply and the freezer to make a keezer? Would i be able to run it like this as a fermentation chamber when needed? If i run it around 12c all the time it would do as both a chamber and a keezer?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

August 22, 2013, 01:38:05 PM #12 Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:51:19 PM by Ciderhead
Quote from: Il Tubo on August 22, 2013, 11:30:44 AM
Oh yes it is! I've done it in 2 fridges and I'm probably going to do a third.

The majority of fridges use one make of thermostat (the rest use a different but similar type). There are only 4 wires at the thermostat: live and neutral from the mains in -- which are colour coded brown and blue, and two going back to supply the compressor, which could be any colour. The thermostat itself only acts as a switch on the live side. i.e. it has two terminals (and earth), the same as a switch.

Once you have the old thermostat physically removed, wiring in an STC is a piece of piss. JohnRM did his too, but he did a real nice job where it looks like the STC is part of the fridge.

pics of your butchered fridges please? As I am not going to hack this

In favour of this

Did I mention its portable?

brenmurph

Agree with CH three posts up :)

Its easier, simpler and effective to wire stc from a socket to a socket.......plug fridge into socket and leave fridge thermostat up full and forget about it. Use stc to control fridge...this leaves all the fridge wring alone.

How to
Use a plastic bucket & lid or big junction box, drill a hole to allow cable and thermo probe out, mount an electric socket on the bucket/ box and you have a self contained, plug in controller that can be moved to any other fridge / kegerator. U can even then use it for a boiler / electric mash tun*, just set appropriate temp.

* supject to it handling enough amps

Ciderhead

Quote from: Il Tubo on August 22, 2013, 02:17:15 PM
The one in the kitchen.

I know what you are saying and I saw a keezer here with it in the bottom and it was tidy, hands and knees to adjust but hey, oh no but thats not :P, sorry still not convinced, watch out for condensation in your stc there btw.
Did you consider running the wiring out and mounting on top or side wall?