• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 11:49:38 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Temperature control system for Keezer- suggestions please!

Started by baconsarnie, August 21, 2013, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

Quote from: deadman1972 on August 22, 2013, 12:30:30 PM
Ok i am going to hijack this somewhat :P I have a chest freezer (Haier) that is very under utilized currently, if i was to purchase an STC 1000 would it be a simple matter of wiring it in between the supply and the freezer to make a keezer? Would i be able to run it like this as a fermentation chamber when needed? If i run it around 12c all the time it would do as both a chamber and a keezer?
Yes Deadman, you don't need to touch the wirng of a freezer. Just do as above and switch the whole yoke with an STC controller
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Quote from: Will_D on August 22, 2013, 08:23:37 PM
Quote from: deadman1972 on August 22, 2013, 12:30:30 PM
Ok i am going to hijack this somewhat :P I have a chest freezer (Haier) that is very under utilized currently, if i was to purchase an STC 1000 would it be a simple matter of wiring it in between the supply and the freezer to make a keezer? Would i be able to run it like this as a fermentation chamber when needed? If i run it around 12c all the time it would do as both a chamber and a keezer?
Yes Deadman, you don't need to touch the wirng of a freezer. Just do as above and switch the whole yoke with an STC controller

So Will i would basically wire the stc 1000 to the supply and then plug the freezer into the stc 1000 ? Would it not harm the freezer switching on and off al the time? Sorry i know nothing about these things ???
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

johnrm

@DM, as for wiring, basically, yes.
Regarding switching on and off, not really, unless you keep opening and closing it.
And at that , there is a delay on the STC1000 of a minute of something before it kicks in and out.

What some people do is 'buffer' the tem cange by putting the probe in a small container of water.
This takes longer to change temp than the air about the probe.

Blunt (Where is that lad?) had a commercial Heino fridge and it had a vial of water capped off with a probe in it.

Greg2013

Quote from: johnrm on August 22, 2013, 09:08:50 PM
@DM, as for wiring, basically, yes.
Regarding switching on and off, not really, unless you keep opening and closing it.
And at that , there is a delay on the STC1000 of a minute of something before it kicks in and out.

What some people do is 'buffer' the tem cange by putting the probe in a small container of water.
This takes longer to change temp than the air about the probe.

Blunt (Where is that lad?) had a commercial Heino fridge and it had a vial of water capped off with a probe in it.

STC 1000 it is then :D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

newToBrew

hey DM - get 2 they're small !! - I'll take the 2nd one from you !!!!
coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

Greg2013

brenmurph

deadman Im bringin ur kegs down to ya tomora.

Ill bring a rex  not an stc with me and show ya the wiring / relays and so on if ya want

brenmurph

re getting these on ebay from china.

Beware about buying more than 1.. the cost between 10 and 20 euros

if u buy 2 and the cost is more than 22 euros you will get hit with 23% vat and 7 euros post office charge. U will have to pay at least a tenner extra

As most of the small china items are free shipping anyway buy one at a time. Dont buy one after the other online in quick succession as they will package the two together. Wait til one despatches and then reorder from your notification email or from ebal panel

newToBrew

Fair point been - I was just being tight and thinking of splitting postage
coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

Quote from: brenmurph on August 23, 2013, 08:56:03 AM
deadman Im bringin ur kegs down to ya tomora.

Ill bring a rex  not an stc with me and show ya the wiring / relays and so on if ya want

Cheers, PM on its way.

Greg2013

Quote from: brenmurph on August 23, 2013, 08:59:20 AM
re getting these on ebay from china.

Beware about buying more than 1.. the cost between 10 and 20 euros

if u buy 2 and the cost is more than 22 euros you will get hit with 23% vat and 7 euros post office charge. U will have to pay at least a tenner extra

As most of the small china items are free shipping anyway buy one at a time. Dont buy one after the other online in quick succession as they will package the two together. Wait til one despatches and then reorder from your notification email or from ebal panel

Ok if the postage is free why will i have to pay anything ? I don't understand why if its off ebay i would be getting hit with postage charges here? ???

brenmurph

August 23, 2013, 10:58:23 AM #27 Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:15:59 AM by brenmurph
Post office charge 7 euros as a fee to collect the taxmans charge its not a postage delivery  charge ;D

any item over 22 euros inc postage from outside EU carries the above mentioned charges. Thats how it works, the revenue wants their money (23%VAT) and the post office kindly oblige the revenue and make 7 euros admin fee for themselves to collect the (maybe 3 euros tax due) just a nice way to even more tax as the post office is government owned anyway >:( :)

Greg2013

Quote from: brenmurph on August 23, 2013, 10:58:23 AM
any item over 22 euros inc postage carries the above mentioned charges. Thats how it works, the revenue wants their money (23%VAT) and the post office kindly oblige the revenue and make 7 euros admin fee for themselves to collect the (maybe 3 euros tax due) just a nice way to even more tax as the post office is government owned anyway >:( :)

Is that just from ebay or everywhere ? How do people order things from Amazon.co.uk if that's the case. I just ordered a book off there thats near 35 euro, you mean t tell me that the feckers in An Post will hold that on me and charge me extra to get whats already mine ?  :o

brenmurph

goods from outside EU pay taxes and charges. Inside the EU theres none. Amazon is Based in EU,.. Ebay sellers may ship from anywhere...usually china..be careful...just make sure ur stc or other control bits bought from china are less than 22 euros