• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:31:09 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Apples for Cider in Cork City

Started by Taf, September 03, 2013, 11:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taf

A fella was on to me yesterday, about 3 old big apple trees that are ready at the moment. I'm going away this weekend, so I won't be able to make use of them, so he asked me did I know anyone who would be interested. He lives just off Wellington road, and it's an old property, but not sure of the varieties, although I presume there is a mix. I'd say there's quite a lot of apples, but haven't seen them first hand.

He's un-employed, so would probably like a few euro, but don't think it would be too mcuh, maybe €15 or so?

Anyone interested? If so, I could put them in touch, but you would probably want to get a move on, as they are starting to drop now.

Will_D

With a bit of luck they may be a Brambly and 2 eaters.

If the apples are BIG green and sharp they are cookers
If smaller sweeter redder, russett etc. they are eaters
If they are small hard weird they are cider apples (hit the jackpot)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Eoin

Quote from: Will_D on September 03, 2013, 08:06:13 PM

Will what exactly do you mean by small hard and weird? There is a wild tree near me which is not crab and the apples are edible but a little dry, consistency and flavour.
They are small and green.

Taf

Quote from: Will_D on September 03, 2013, 08:06:13 PM

I would be easily be able to identify them if I saw them, as I've made my own cider a good few times, even before I first made beer, and have several heirloom varieties planted from irish seedsavers which are a mix of eater/cooker/cider. Plus my parents and family have always had apple trees, and I have been munching on them from an early age.

the only issue is that I am not around to collect them, so was hoping someone else might, as othewise they will probably go to waste. I think they are big apples, so probably a mix of eater/cooker.

I must get better organised next year, as I know of sever trees that I can use. As it is the farmer across the road from me, has a bumper crop on a really old tree, and I made really good cider from it, a few yeards ago, so will have to be content with that, and whatever else I can get my hands on. I also need to build a new press, as the 6 litre one is a complete pain, as too small really.