• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 05:39:26 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Started by admin, September 05, 2013, 08:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Found one in the shed!

Sent from my ZX81

Ciderhead

Earth calling Tube, come in Tube, I have a pulse Doctor but his eyes have glazed over and he is rambling ::)

Ciderhead

CH shuts up as he hears Tubes marbles roll behind the couch, well and truely lost.

but will it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

delzep

fizzypish

How many people on this forum are qualified/ working in engineering/Science fields? I'm defiantly sensing a quantity of electronics engineers..... 

JimmyM

Quote from: fizzypish on September 06, 2013, 08:55:18 AM
How many people on this forum are qualified/ working in engineering/Science fields? I'm defiantly sensing a quantity of electronics engineers.....
Tubes post above doesn't necessarily demonstrate that he's an engineer, more an antiques dealer!!
Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

Add hoarder to his CV... he keeps things from a job he had 35 years ago :P
Formerly JamesM.

Taf

Also, you obviously don't send messages from your ZX81 do you? I had a ZX81, and although I was very young at the time, I remember it being fairly shit! You had to type in all the progam for the games, and I think at that stage it was fairly obvious I would never be a programmer.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: fizzypish on September 06, 2013, 08:55:18 AM
You sir are very observant,they are everywhere like Triffids  :P   
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

JD

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 06, 2013, 10:32:01 AM
No, though I do have a ZX81. Was my first "computer" though it was a piece of shit and as soon as I got it I wanted a Spectrum. Good marketing stunt by Sinclair.

Bad an all as the ZX81 was, it was way better than its predecessor, the ZX80. Now there was a piece of shite.

Bazza

You want to talk about shite?

My first home comupter (around 1983) was an Oric 1 16K:

Thankfully, we quickly upgraded - to the Oric1 32K

Then the Oric Atmos. We never learned:

Our cousins had a Commodore 64. We were so jealous of them. If they wanted to play a game they just loaded up the tape; we had to type them in from a fecking magazine - and they were ALWAYS crap.

Next was a Tohsiba MSX.

Now that was actually pretty good. Unlike the Oric, it had some games - and a cartridge slot. We had 2 cartridges: a soccer game and a Kung Fu game. Both were excellent, for the time.

Then came the BBC Micro B+:

Ahhhh...the old BBC. Loved that machine. I actually coded on that thing as a hobby. 6502 Assembly Language.  Many 5.25 inch disks at home full of half-started games.

I've hated coding since I stopped using the BBC. I work full time as a software engineer. Now THERE'S a career own goal  :'(

-Barry

P.S. Apologies for the shameless nostalgic interlude there.
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Taf

September 06, 2013, 03:08:01 PM #11 Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:20:19 PM by Taf
I had a BBC as well. It was supposed to be for educational purposes, but had some decent games. Chuckie egg was my favourite, but also played snapper, frogger, hunchback, evil weevil, killer gorilla, planetoid and meteors. I was always a bit jealous of my sprectrum owning buddies, but kid power back then didn't go as far as demanding a particular type of computer, so as I was happy to have anything. Did have a soft spot for manice miner, which I think was a spectrum game.

Didn't the BBC take cassette tapes, that could be easily copied? Don't remember every nuying any games for it.

Shanna

Ah come on now Tube that would make me your peer sort of  ::) first professional programming position in ESB in 1993. Jaysus how can that be.  I only finished college a few years ago. Oh dear  :-X

Shanna
Quote from: Il Tubo on September 06, 2013, 10:08:29 AM
LOL. Smartass! First job was in 1994.
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

johnrm

The games could indeed be copied.
Any of the cassette based games.
It was possible to copy the cartridge games to cassette too, no idea how this was done, but once the original cassette copy was good quality, they could be copied too.

Will_D

You young wipper snappers:

My First computer was an ICL 1903T and we punched the cards by hand!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing