• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:49:14 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mash Tuns

Started by irish_goat, September 16, 2013, 02:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Buying a mash tun this week and just looking for advice. Does anyone know if there's much difference between these two? The homebrew west option seems to have a bazooka screen as opposed to a copper manifold. Is this an advantage/disadvantage?

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/insulated-mash-tun-fully-kitted-out-35-litres-1998-p.asp

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/insulated-mash-tun-new-design-34litre-capacity-p-908.html

Ciderhead

Go with manifold better efficiency less likelihood of channelling

Sent from my divining rod v2.0

Garry

This one is €20 cheaper than HBW one. It's looks the same to me.

Edit; it's 2L less!

Damien M

I have the Home Brew Company one and never had a stuck sparge and efficiency's are good.

To support Ciderheads point I think the Bazooka shouldn't be used in a Mash Tun, only be used in a Boiler, as in the mash it could lead to channeling and leaving concentrated wort or at least un-sparged grain at the edges, whereas in the Boiler wort is wort.

irish_goat

Cheers lads, will go for the HBC one.

Hop Bomb

Yeah F*CK bazooka screens in mash tuns. 50% efficiency at best. Ive had first hand experience with the bazooka method & switched to a manifold in the same cooler & get 75% now.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Hop Bomb

Also its worth filling the lid with expanding foam & covering it with a few layers of thermo foil. That'll keep your loss down to 1˚c over a 60 min mash.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Ciderhead

Or herms:)

Sent from my divining rod v2.0