• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:22:23 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Club competition - The Oslo - September 27th

Started by St. Fursey, September 17, 2013, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

DrowningManatee

Sour brown ale? good as a base for messin around with fruit after etc...
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Hop Bomb

Id look to a more classic recipe like the cantillon gueuze. May aswell try emulate the best of the best? Getting old enough hops is going to be a challenge.

St. Fursey

How about this?

3kg Marris Otter
1.5kg Wheat
0.25kg Crystal 40
30g Saaz @60 min

Yeast: WLP-001 or US-05

Hop Bomb

Solid looking recipe. Are they fresh hops? If using stale you could use more yeah? Id add malto-dextrin powder also. The malto-dextrin is to be sure there are a few complex sugars left for the extra organisms to eat after the brewers yeast gets finished with its work.  http://byo.com/stories/item/975-lambic-brewing

Would it be worth culturing the dregs from a few bottles of cantillon? (or is it filtered before bottling?) How many vials/smack packs of bugs will we need for the barrel? (one each?)  WLP 665 or WYEAST 3278? (WLP can be got here in Ireland from HBC)

Can you make starters for the bug blends so we dont have to buy as many?

St. Fursey

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 30, 2013, 01:02:47 PM
Solid looking recipe. Are they fresh hops? If using stale you could use more yeah? Id add malto-dextrin powder also. The malto-dextrin is to be sure there are a few complex sugars left for the extra organisms to eat after the brewers yeast gets finished with its work.  http://byo.com/stories/item/975-lambic-brewing

Would it be worth culturing the dregs from a few bottles of cantillon? (or is it filtered before bottling?) How many vials/smack packs of bugs will we need for the barrel? (one each?)  WLP 665 or WYEAST 3278? (WLP can be got here in Ireland from HBC)

Can you make starters for the bug blends so we dont have to buy as many?
I use fresh hops. Saaz is mild enough but we could go heavy on the old aroma hops if we can get them.
I hadnt heard about malto-dexterin, it seems like a good idea. I'd say we could culture up a big starter for the barrel

DrowningManatee

Copy and Pasted from Wyeast page http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-lambic-brewing.cfm :
'''Wort boiling is also unique for lambic, usually lasting from three to six hours. This is done to increase the very low gravity of the wort which results from the many additions of boiling water to the mash. At the beginning of the long boil, aged oxidized hops are added. These hops are varieties out of England such as East Kent Goldings and Northern Brewer. The stale hops contribute very little bitterness to the finished beer because most of the alpha-acid has been oxidized. The main function of the hops in lambic is preservation of the beer. The aged hops tend to have a cheesy aroma, but most of this is expelled during the lengthy boil.

After the wort is boiled, it is traditionally sent to a cooling ship in an open room. Here it is naturally inoculated with the microbial flora necessary to ferment the wort. After cooling is complete the wort is sent to oak casks where it will ferment for up to two years'''

There's always hops in the bargain bin in HBW that are a few yrs old, im gonna head in this week to collect some goodies for my 'Conan' brew so ill check and let ye know on here what i could get. Im assuming if i got em now and left them out somewhere sterile they'd oxidise in time for the brew to get rid of the cheesy aroma.

BTW - there's a 'grand cru' beer in the oslo thats soured beer - its unreal, a bit pricey but well worth tryin once if ye're in there, tho i think its too dark for comparison to us.

@eanna - savage chart :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

St. Fursey

Quote from: Il Tubo on September 30, 2013, 03:25:04 PM
Quote from: eanna on September 30, 2013, 02:19:11 PM
For all the nerds out there;
Jeez, you know who your friends are from that! ;)
Sorry Tom :(

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

DrowningManatee

Just checked there, HBW have 2008 target, tettnanger and progress if ye reckon they'd be any good for aged hops, thats 5 years!
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

eanna

Tube- Everyone got their scores from everyone and the comments too. If there were hurt feelings they would have come out later in the night!

Hop Bomb

Not at all lads. It was great to get feedback. We should use the score sheets going forward. No hurt feelings - at least I know how much hops is too much for dry hop.

Hop Bomb

Quote from: DrowningManatee on September 30, 2013, 06:16:36 PM
Just checked there, HBW have 2008 target, tettnanger and progress if ye reckon they'd be any good for aged hops, thats 5 years!

Oh yeah they'd be perfect. Can we get freebies/discount?  :)

DrowningManatee

they're in the bargain bin so they're cheap as hell anyways but always worth a shot... we could offer some bottles down the line?

whats the plan, same as last time - ie. brew 20L batch and meet to fill barrel, or could we make a brewday out of it (if thats ok Enda :-[, dont score me down at the next meet for suggesting it or nothing :) ) where we could all meet up and brew?

And just doubling down i think we're all cool with scoring(beer :) ), there'll always be one score that stands out and we can have a bit o craic with that
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

St. Fursey

Sure  leave them out in a plate for a couple of days and  there'll be no hop flavour left! A brew day would be cool. I can host any number of gas brewers; electricity is limited though!
Oct 12th could work...