• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:06:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer swap?

Started by DrowningManatee, October 03, 2013, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrowningManatee

I was just thinkin that half the reason I brew stuff is to try beers Ive only heard of that you cant get here and im sure some of you feel the same way.

What if before meetins we post what we're bringin and perhaps do some swaps with people - beer for beer?

A beer I haven't tried (someone else's) is much more valuable to me than more of my own which ive had already tasted.

I know carryin them's probably the main problem but i'd definately be into takin 3-4 bag with me in a bag if we did swaps...

any suggestions?
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

MisterBurns

I do love the concept but on the other hand from what I've tasted at meetings vs my own brews I'd be the winner out of a swap every time with the recipient of my brews feeling hard done by!!

DrowningManatee

o man, sure i'd be on the receiving end too, why do u think im suggesting this :)

No seriously tho, Its only givin a few beers to try something different, I doubt anyone would mind, and Ive never tasted a beer I wouldnt drink at any o the meetins. Also, everyone doesnt have to do it, just prearrange it on the site. I'd be well into tasting whatever ya have anyway ...
I still brew kits all the time as their the most cost effective in order to save money to spend a fortune on the odd megabrew.
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

barkar

I like the concept , but i had one reservation re our host the Oslo , they mightn't be so keen to have us back if we just make up space and not buy anything they are offering . I think if we limit the tasting botles to 2 max with some them for take home swap

eanna

Joe proposed something like this before, maybe a mid-month meet up for a few drinks and do a beer swap. It's great to have a small selection of others beers instead of just having your own ones to choose from.

montofk

Yes I'd be on for that, I know what you mean about the swaps, you'd win some and lose some I guess. I did a swap with Enda recently and think I won on that particular exchange  ;D
I'd also like the idea of swapping recipes, I don't know if the same happens to you on the meet nights, but as the beers flow and conversations lose direction I forget what I've drank. It often happens that it's only the day after I can pick out which beer I liked the best. I asked Tom for a recipe this week from a taster of his I had about 2 months ago. I may slightly alter his recipe just for messins sake... but will be nice to have an idea what it'll turn out like and will be interesting to see what the slight variations does.... (by which time I'll have forgotten what the original tastes like).

Quote from: barkar on October 03, 2013, 01:51:57 PM
I like the concept , but i had one reservation re our host the Oslo , they mightn't be so keen to have us back if we just make up space and not buy anything they are offering . I think if we limit the tasting botles to 2 max with some them for take home swap
Yes I like the pub environment to meet in so it's only fair to buy a couple or eight pints from the hosts aswell!
Would be as well off to do the swaps away from the meetings, Mick I pass within a minute of your house twice a day and I'd regularly pass nearby others at some stage during the weeks (except for Barkar maybe!) would also save carrying bottles home. It's easier to carry beer away from the meetings when it's in me belly. :-X

DrowningManatee

I'd be well into any o those ideas, another meet mid month for whoever's around eanna, or just swapping em as you said steve. Im not too worried about the oslo, everyone buys drinks and its good for their buzz to have us around anyway. We're just swapping a few bottles between bags.

But i look forward to the meetins every month and then something comes up on the night that i cant stay too long r sumthin - another meetin would be cool - a less formal one with regard to sortin stuff out, more of a beernerd pissup? and we could swap beers...

I dunno how ye stand with 091 labs but that sounded like a cool place too, as in for mid month?

With regard to swaps, i just wanna try something else, quality is nice but Im not too concerned (as im sure you can taste in my beers :))
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

J o e

Quote from: eanna on October 03, 2013, 02:03:30 PM
Joe proposed something like this before, maybe a mid-month meet up for a few drinks and do a beer swap. It's great to have a small selection of others beers instead of just having your own ones to choose from.

Yeah I was thinking of a mid-month meetup at maybe the Salthouse mid-week for one or two pints in the evening. Then afterwards (outside) we can swap bottles before heading off.

Also I seem to always be away or busy on the last Friday of every month, unlucky run of it for last few months!  :-[

eanna

Anyone want to pick a date for this so? Next week? I'll start a list

1. Eanna

DrowningManatee

im headed off for a week so won't be able to go (goin to holland, gonna go down to belgium for a day :) ) but it sounds like a great idea and id be well into it if I wasn't, good luck and happy drinkin!!
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

eanna

Doesn't seem to be any appetite for it this week anyway Michael!