• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 01:15:29 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Braumeister 20L

Started by Shane Phelan, November 03, 2013, 10:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

I have been researching the braumeister and any potential alternatives for the last few months and I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much perfect for my needs. I live in a tiny apartment so doing anything with kegs/pots is completely out of the question. The fact that it is all in one means I can get rid of the mash tun which saves even more space. I also despise cleaning and like the fact that it reduces the amount of stuff I will have to wash on a brew day.

I was reading though Partridges thread on Beoir along with several other mega-threads on other forums and there are several ways around the 6kg malt limit for the occasions when brewing a higher ABV beer. I know its pretty pricey but I think that type of unit would really hold its value if I ever wanted to migrate to something bigger in the future.

Its a big purchase so I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on the product before committing to  buying one.
Brew Log

Ciderhead

Buy it, it's perfect for your requirements, have a look at the megga thread here if you are still in 2 minds of experiences from actual users.
I would have bought one but herms put an end to that and I have no space issues.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/speidel-braumeister-brewmaster-229225/

Shane Phelan

Yeah that was one of the mega-thread's I read, every second suggestion is that the money could be spent to build larger systems or "equivalent" systems. If anything that thread convinced me more to go for it!  :D
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Of course I could build it but it would take me weeks, look pretty poor at the end of it and probably not work effectively as I wouldn't have any of the correct tools to make it.
Brew Log

Will_D

+1 on that - just ask me or Tube as to the progress of our "Brewmiser" projects!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Padraic

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 03, 2013, 10:59:36 AM
I think convincing yourself you need a Braumeister is like convincing yourself you need an iPhone.

No one told me that the Braumeister was the iPhone of brewing equipment! I'll take one on a 24 month contract!

I've actually been considering one too recently! I think I'd brew more often if I had a brewery that was allowed stay in the kitchen!

But that said it's a big outlay for me at the moment as I am thinking of going with a bit of a bigger system...

Padraic

Quote from: CH on November 03, 2013, 10:28:17 AM
Buy it, it's perfect for your requirements, have a look at the megga thread here if you are still in 2 minds of experiences from actual users.
I would have bought one but herms put an end to that and I have no space issues.

Got to the bottom of page one, 101 pages, sure I'd have earned enough to pay for it in the time it'd take me to read that much!

Parrot

Can't give any details at this time but there is an Irish made alternative in final testing and due for launch in 1st quarter of '14  at a fraction of the price of the Braumeister ;)

I'll post as soon as I can arrange for one to be Beta tested by members here :)

Parrot

Ciderhead

Quote from: Parrot on November 03, 2013, 08:07:29 PM
  at a fraction of the price of the Braumeister ;)

Understanding that you can't post designs or pics but talk more about pricing, as I guess since you are only 3 months away from launch your business plan would have rrp's to calculate margins?
What sort of a fraction? ...7/8 15/16's are all fractions :)

Garry

There's a guy over on Jim's Beer Kit building a clone at the moment. It's not finished yet but he reckons he can do it for £300. It's worth taking a nose through the tread for the pictures anyway.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62803&hilit=the+bread+maker

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: Padraic on November 03, 2013, 05:20:30 PM
Quote from: CH on November 03, 2013, 10:28:17 AM

Got to the bottom of page one, 101 pages, sure I'd have earned enough to pay for it in the time it'd take me to read that much!
Its actually a lot more than 101 pages, we get a mention on page 202. There are currently 227 pages !
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

beerfly

I had been playing with the idea of getting one too.  Mostly for the same reasons, and it would also shorten my brew day a bit.  Might not bite the bullet yet but may be more tempted the closer it gets to my birthday

Parrot

The one on jimsbeerkit.co.uk is a great effort at cloning the BM but I don't think it was ever intended for commercial production, more a personal experiment and well done to him ;)

The £300 tag was his estimate for recouping the money he'd spent and took no account of parts he had on hand and other odd bits and pieces he didn't have to pay full cost for if anything.

A more realistic price range might be in the region of €600-€700 which is less than half the price of the BM plus it is Irish made  :)

Parrot

DEMPSEY

This is the thread about making one on JBK. Good follow on as he progress's one issue is the malt bits that first overflow the top tend to block the return pump. Also another issue that can come up is if you have too much malt grain in the wort and you boil it,it might add some off flavours.
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62803
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

molc

Quote from: Parrot on November 03, 2013, 08:07:29 PM
Can't give any details at this time but there is an Irish made alternative in final testing and due for launch in 1st quarter of '14  at a fraction of the price of the Braumeister ;)

I'll post as soon as I can arrange for one to be Beta tested by members here :)

Parrot

Any more news on this Irish alternative? ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter