• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 03:23:23 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Spent Grain Dog Treats

Started by irish_goat, November 06, 2013, 02:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Thought I'd share the recipe I used to make dog treats.

Ingredients
500g spent grain
120g flour
2 eggs
200ml beef stock

It helps if you let the grains dry out a little first, I left mines in a sieve. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl apart from the stock and then slowly add it while mixing to make the dough. I found that I used about 150ml to get a good consistency. I didn't have any cookie cutters so I spread the dough on some baking paper and whacked the oven on full blast for 30 mins then I cut shapes using a knife and dropped the temperature down to about 110c for 2 hours.  You can continue to baste them throughout the cooking process with the spare stock. 2 hours should do it, you basically want them to be reasonably dry so they don't go mouldy.

The stock isn't essential but I'm sure the dogs appreciate it and I had some spare. Next brew day I'm going to get some bones off the butcher (they're normally free) and then cook them in water while I'm mashing to make the stock. Also bought a bone shaped cookie cutter on ebay for €1.

The recipe is also very tweakable, a lot of online ones suggest peanut butter as it helps bind the mixture and dogs like the taste but I can't eat the stuff so never have it in the house. You can add grated carrot, mushed banana or pretty much any fruit or veg. Word of warning, make sure there are no hops going into the mix as they can make dogs very ill. Same goes for chocolate.

Tried them out on 2 dogs and they both loved them + they're healthy too. And considering I get free eggs off my parents during the brighter months, they cost barely anything to make.

imark

I've been making the peanut butter version for the last few months and the dog loves them. You really do need to get them dry or they'll go moldy in a couple of days. I've found it's best to make them no more than 1cm thick and to pop them in the oven after any use for a few days and try to get them dry before bagging them away. If you get them dry they can last for weeks without a problem.

I've given some to a friend and they reported an addition benefit. The magpies were de-pooping the lawn for him after the dogs subsequent deposits.  8)

LordEoin

imark

I had a nibble on one myself but they're a bit husky.

Eoin

Quote from: imark on November 09, 2013, 10:53:34 AM

Maybe even a little rough?

Sent from my HTC One

LordEoin

Quote from: Eoin on November 09, 2013, 11:24:25 AM
Didn't stop him hounding one down.

Eoin

Quote from: LordEoin on November 09, 2013, 11:14:30 PM
Quote from: Eoin on November 09, 2013, 11:24:25 AM
Didn't stop him hounding one down.

He must be barking.

Sent from my HTC One

imark

Was lucky I didn't get a dose of the shih tzu's after all that.

LordEoin

Puns about poo dil get you nowhere Mark!