• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 02:46:54 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Your favourite Irish stouts regularly available, i.e. not specials

Started by admin, November 10, 2013, 01:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Recent trip to Cork sort of forced me to think about this.

On draught my favourites right now would be:
1. O'Hara's Stout
2. Porterhouse Plain
3. Beamish

I would have had Shandon Stout number 1 for a while but we're starting to refer to it as a dessert stout, i.e. started to find it a little too sweet.

In bottles I'm not a fan of the "4.3%" variety really, as I find the CO2 levels can add an unwanted harshness that in my mind doesn't belong in stouts, so for that reason I'd go:
1. Porterhouse Celebration
2. Guinness Foreign Extra

Although depending on my humour those two could be reversed, and in spite of the 4.3% I am partial to the odd bottle of Black Rock Stout.

delzep

Wrasslers for me is by far the best draught stout in Ireland. Pity porterhouse bars are dreadful

irish_goat

Wrasslers is delicious but sometimes need to be in the mood for it. O'Hara's Leann Follain on cask is fantastic.

Would agree with Tube regarding bottles of 4.3%, I think O'Hara's can be a bit overcarbonated but Black Rock is always spot on.

CeardLeann

1. Trouble brewing dark arts
2. Dún Garbháin Black Rock
3. Porterhouse celebration/O Haras Leann Folláin

johnrm

Burren Black
I think one of the best stouts available, unfortunately only available in Lisdoonvarna!

brenmurph

beamish traditionally, porterhouse oyster, plain and wrasslers (dem boys knowhoe to make stout) and I enjoyed the lisdoon stout few months back at the festival

imark

Wrasslers on draught is by far my favourite. Different class!

On bottle Guinness foreign extra as my staple go to stout. Leann Folain is a nice treat.

delzep

beerfly

Good branch off from the why is all the pale ale the same thread.   This is the one one area that needs the most variety and also the hardest to penetrate (O'Hara's Guinness anyone).
O'Hara's and bru are great stouts but only available in select places. I personally think cranking the stout barrier will be the key to success for the person who does it. Generally you can expect one stout on tap if you see two its rare and three is unknown (dublin area). Cork have it easier, better choice of stouts but there is noting to say more is a bad thing. 
But on topic.

1. Leann follian / (black rock if it had better availability)
2. O'Hara's stout
3. Bru dubh

Though choice with 2 and 3 but ask me again in a month or 2 and that could change.

Kieran the Human

Nitro:
1. Shandon Stout
2. Beamish
3. O' Haras

Bottle:
1. Black Rock
2. McGraths
3. Belfast Black
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Weiss

"The world is my lobster"-Keith O'Neill.

delzep

Bottles of Leann Follain are 4 for a tenner in Dunnes at the mo  ;)

delzep

Had a pint of Leann Follain on cask earlier...it wasn't the best...would put me off it it if I didn't know that the bottles were amazeballs  :-\

delzep

Leann Follain available on draught in shearys from tomorrow