• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 03:16:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Question about temp controls on a fridge freezer.

Started by Billythegypsy, November 15, 2013, 12:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billythegypsy

Is there a way to separately control the temperatures in the fridge and freezer sections?

I'd like to have the fridge at cellar temperature and use the freezer as a fermenting chamber.

I'm thinking that I'd have to over ride the internal thermostats seeing as I cant use an stc 1000 to control the power from the plug.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Eoin

You'd need to remove the internal controllers and use two ATC or STC devices wired in their place. Not for beginners.

Sent from my HTC One

JimmyM

Im open to correction - I dont think its possible on most fridges.
Because the cooling coils in the freezer compartment are usually on the same cooling circuit as the main fridge - the only difference being that there is a bigger area of cooling coils exposed to the freezer compartment relative to the volume.
I know this is definitely true for most small to medium fridges - so i suppose it depends on the fridge - in a fridge where you can control the freezer and fridge part separately it might be possible to do what eoin says - Ive never actually seen such a fridge-freezer (not saying they dont exist) - Not sure whether they would have 2 separate compressors .... My guess is if you have such a fridge - it will be too good to waste on sitting in your shed fermenting beer.
Formerly JamesM.

Eoin

My advice assumed separate controllers

Sent from my HTC One