• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:04:45 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kegging

Started by MisterBurns, November 15, 2013, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterBurns

Ok so I bought the kegs in the last group buy and built the Kegerator – happy days. Now I have some questions!

1. Do you leave your gas on continuously?
2. If not how long do you switch it on for before you use the taps? Or is it just required after a few beers to reset the pressure in the keg/carbonation of the remaining beers?
3. For beers that you a storing in kegs before use do you just purge the oxygen and store? Or do you fully carbonate the beer and then disconnect the gas and store?
4. If I have a two tap system is it ok to swop out a half full keg and store it? If so by being only half full but fully carbonated affect the length of time you would store it for?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Mac

DEMPSEY

1. Do you leave your gas on continuously?
2. If not how long do you switch it on for before you use the taps? Or is it just required after a few beers to reset the pressure in the keg/carbonation of the remaining beers?
3. For beers that you a storing in kegs before use do you just purge the oxygen and store? Or do you fully carbonate the beer and then disconnect the gas and store?
4. If I have a two tap system is it ok to swop out a half full keg and store it? If so by being only half full but fully carbonated affect the length of time you would store it for?

1. You can leave mixed gas on but if you only have co2 the beer will continue to dissolve and thus over carbonate
2. After you have carbonated the beer in the Keg you will only need the mixed gas to dispense it. A mixed gas reg will be set for dispense.
3. Fully carbonate the beer and leave it in your storage until your ready to serve it.
4. As far as I know full or half full that is protected by gas will have the same life.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

imark

I leave my CO2 on continuously as I don't have leaks in my system that allow much escape. I don't think beer over carbonates. Once it is saturated with CO2 at a given pressure it stops absorbing. That is my understanding.