• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 09:31:18 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Devil's Half Acre

Started by admin, December 23, 2013, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

The first Irish beer I think I've had that has well and truly smashed boundaries. A 13.5% barrel aged "dark IPA". €6.50 a 330ml bottle in the Porter House. Very drinkable (just the one), quite balanced for a wine strength beer. Get it while you can!

irish_goat

What's the name about does anyone know?

irish_goat

delzep

Theres an A4 sheet above the hand drier in the jacks that explains it. I wasn't arsed reading it though

delzep

The sheet in the jacks is gone now.

delzep

imark

I better get in there and drink some of this epic beer before ye lads swamp it all!

imark

imark

irish_goat

So I asked on the Porterhouse FB page for the story behind the name and got an essay back.

QuoteIn respect of the name as you are aware The Devil, it has been said, has the sweetest tunes. With this in mind we looked at the tradition of beers that are associated with the Devil. It is said that the trend originated with Duvel, that wonderful Belgian beer which when it was first produced a brewer commented that it was a Devil of a beer. Hence the name Duvel meaning Devil stuck. Since then this has influenced countless breweries around the world, and you have possibly drank such beers as Satan, Lucifer, all of these can note strong complex beers. With this in mind many years ago I heard the story that Dublin castle and its immediate environs, since its inception in 1204 up until 1922, when our state obtained independence, has had a history which is both dark and sad and it was known to locals as "The Devils Half Acre". This moniker gained further notoriety when military rule of Ireland was controlled from Dublin Castle. Thus Michael Collins used to very disparagingly refer to British military rule coming from The Devils Half Acre. In addition to this if one walks up Parliament Street and goes to the right of Dublin Castle, at the gates there if one looks above the arch one can see the scales of justice. This is a symbol of fairness and justice but as has been pointed out the statue is facing inwards to the inhabitants of Dublin Castle and justice did not apply to the population of Ireland. With this history in mind when I first heard the story I thought "The Devils Half Acre" what a great name for a worthy beer. And now here it is.