• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:41:56 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dry Hopping

Started by Cathal O D, January 04, 2013, 03:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathal O D

Hey there

Im thinking of dry hopping half of my batch of ale. Im wondering how much hops to use for 10L. Does it depend on the hops? Also is it ok to put them in the primary FV

Tom

I'd use a minimum of half an oz (around 18g) for that, and leave for at least two weeks in Secondary (an airtight container with a bubbler). However you can add more and leave for less time if you like.

Apparently micros with conditioning capabilities drop the temperature of their ales to between 1 and 14 degrees Celcius to help the dry hopping and clearing process. If you try the same, watch out for suckback as the beer cools.

Cathal O D

So dry hopping in the primary isnt good?

Cathal O D

Good article. My primary fermentation is finished so it might be ok to dry hop in the primary as i wont loose the aromas with the CO2...... does that sound right

Ciderhead

QuoteGood article. My primary fermentation is finished so it might be ok to dry hop in the primary as i wont loose the aromas with the CO2...... does that sound right

I was just about to say you can in primary if fermentation finished trying not to disturb trub, however I always secondary, i know loads don't, I just don't like my beer sitting on shit, (I could have OCD :o)

rukkus

I've found with dry hopping i end up with a really grassy taste that can take a good bit of aging before it comes good.

Lately i've been adding decent additions late in the boil and not dry hopping at all. I find i end up with a nice hoppy beer that i dont need to age for ages.

Just my 2c :)

Ciderhead

January 04, 2013, 08:12:37 PM #7 Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:29:14 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteI've found with dry hopping i end up with a really grassy taste that can take a good bit of aging before it comes good.

Lately i've been adding decent additions late in the boil and not dry hopping at all. I find i end up with a nice hoppy beer that i dont need to age for ages.

Just my 2c :)

Read the article, grass is mentioned overexposure in time rather than quantity

rukkus

Yep but he actually says he's never really had that problem. Whenever i've dry hopped its generally been about 7 days.

Ciderhead

January 05, 2013, 12:22:07 AM #9 Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:23:54 AM by Ciderhead
I think I read in one of palmer books you can get grassy flavours from malts that have been stored in moist environments ditto with the hops something to do with moisture being absorbed prior to addition
I only ever dry hop for long periods in the keg with my ss tea ball attached to a piece of dental floss, not spearmint flavour ;)