• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:12 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Newbie from Galway..Carried on

Started by The Bards Son, January 01, 2014, 01:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bards Son

Well Lads
I hope ye all saw it through the christmas alright..
I got a few nice presents including Coopers Heritage larger and LME, and Coopers pilsner nd LME, few books on brewing and different types nd styles of beer etc

I had jus brewed the coopers IPA with LME and some added suger and opened the first bottle xmas eve and was very happy with it.....Plenty of carbonation and a really nice tasting beer ...
In my haste to get another batch on the go i decided to go ahead with the Pilsner but didnt put to enough thought into in.. I Proceded as per instructions but after adding the LME i realised i should have used dry spray malt as it was way to dark for a pilsner..Either way i decided to keep going rather than dump what i had started..It is currently in the FV in my hotpress so i will see what the results are>>
What is the worst that can happen??
Will it be worth Bottleing ???
Has anybody made simple mistakes like this and what were your results??

Anyway " Happy new year to all and I hope ye all have a Great Brewing Year"
Regards
Shane
The Bards Son

Will_D

Relax, Sounds like you'll just have a darker IPA!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

The Bards Son

Quote from: CH on January 01, 2014, 01:22:38 PM
What's the temp in the hot press!!

My hotpress is about 20-24*c mostly...i did the coopers ale in it and it worked a treat
The Bards Son

Bubbles

First of all, I'd take it out of the hot press. 24C is far too hot for an ale yeast, despite what Coopers say in their pamphlet. Cooler is nearly always better, even for ale yeasts. (By the way, be much more careful when you're fermenting those Coopers lagers. I think both kits are shipped with true lager yeasts and they are going to be much less tolerant of high temperatures than the ale yeast.)

Anyhow, aside from the hot press fermentation, the LME won't make that much of a difference to the colour, depending on how fresh the LME was. I've found that kits made with LME (as opposed to DME) take a little longer to condition. Other than that, no difference.

The Bards Son

Quote from: Bubbles on January 01, 2014, 08:05:03 PM
First of all, I'd take it out of the hot press. 24C is far too hot for an ale yeast, despite what Coopers say in their pamphlet. Cooler is nearly always better, even for ale yeasts. (By the way, be much more careful when you're fermenting those Coopers lagers. I think both kits are shipped with true lager yeasts and they are going to be much less tolerant of high temperatures than the ale yeast.)

Anyhow, aside from the hot press fermentation, the LME won't make that much of a difference to the colour, depending on how fresh the LME was. I've found that kits made with LME (as opposed to DME) take a little longer to condition. Other than that, no difference.

The pilsner was quiet dark after i added the LME..almost the same colour as the coopers ale i made previous.... I thought it should have been much lighter in colour to start with?
The Bards Son

St. Fursey

LME is usually darker in colour than DME. If you want a lighter colour you could try light spray malt next time. Don't worry, your beer will be grand; call it something other than pilsner if you don't like the colour!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

irish_goat

The Bards Son

Quote from: St. Fursey on January 01, 2014, 10:22:35 PM
LME is usually darker in colour than DME. If you want a lighter colour you could try light spray malt next time. Don't worry, your beer will be grand; call it something other than pilsner if you don't like the colour!

Cheers.... I have the heritage larger kit to do after this one ... Will the LME be ok for this or should I use spray malt
The Bards Son

St. Fursey

LME will be grand. However if you want to have a lighter colour, try light spray malt.
Personally the homebrewwest LME is such good value, I rarely bother with DME. That and I generally don't brew very light coloured beers!

Will_D

Quote from: St. Fursey on January 02, 2014, 12:02:19 PM
LME will be grand. However if you want to have a lighter colour, try light spray malt.
Personally the homebrewwest LME is such good value, I rarely bother with DME. That and I generally don't brew very light coloured beers!
And no dust!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

St. Fursey

Quote from: Will_D on January 02, 2014, 12:45:02 PM
Quote from: St. Fursey on January 02, 2014, 12:02:19 PM
And no dust!!
And no sticky floors!

irish_goat

I always preferred DME, LME was messy and ye'd always have some stuck to the can. Plus DME is good for starters.

The Bards Son

I havent tried DME or spray malt yet so i would like to give it a go......any advice on best ones and tips when useing them????
The Bards Son

St. Fursey

Quote from: The Bards Son on January 03, 2014, 12:25:46 AM
I havent tried DME or spray malt yet so i would like to give it a go......any advice on best ones and tips when useing them????
Spraymalt and DME are the same thing. I don't think there's much difference between the brands.

Tips:
To avoid clumps, slowly add DME to water while mixing  instead of the other way around

Store in a dry place, seal the bag well if you're storing after opening.  I transferred some to a kilner jar once and it turned to sticky goo after a few weeks

If you're using a lot e.g 3kg for an extract brew, there's a good chance that the dust will leave you with sticky floors.  Clean it up before you get caught!