• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:20:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

My Electric Brewery Build

Started by Ozbrewer, January 07, 2014, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozbrewer

@Dempsey - I certainly hope it will be awesome when it's complete.

Well, progress this weekend, on the brew stand. No further progress yet on the panel, hopefully this week.

Brew stand is complete, and I have to say I'm really chuffed with it. I haven't done any woodwork since Grade 8 back in Australia, and that's well over 25 years ago.

I think having all the right equipment was good. Brother-in-law lent me one of those small Black&Decker hand sanders which was really important. I also have an electric planer, which was vital in squaring of all the shelving, then sanded the whole thing twice, stained (Colron Victorian Pine), and then two coats of varnish.

Also, I got the castors from CastorMart up in Ballymount, Dublin. Cost for 4 castors was 18 euro. I also have to say the guy who served me, I think the owner actually, couldn't have been more helpful.

As I said, very chuffed with the result. Pictures below.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Looks fantastic, well done!

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Ozbrewer

Ok - so made some progress today. I built a small stand for the pumps and assembled the plumbing for the pumps. Just need to add some length to the pump cables, attach plugs and then they will be complete.

Photo's of the pump stand below.

Ozbrewer

Ok - more progress again. Brother-in-law came through and we went around to his mates workshop and cut the panel out. Some of the holes aren't the best, but with everything in place you can't see any bad cuts etc. Everything is evenly spaced and level. We double checked with a T-square, so all is good. Still have the hole to cut for the heat sink, holes for the handles, holes for the electrics on the bottom, and then sand and spray paint.

Here are the pics:

Not the best as it's an iphone pic.

Really stoked this has progressed. Feel like I'm getting closer and closer to the end of it and closer to brewing on it. Can't wait.

Ozbrewer

Ok - so it's not the best, but this is my attempt at a counter-flow chiller. It's 10 meters of 10mm O.D. copper and 10 meter of 19mm I.D hose. Total for parts at this stage is 46 euro.

The copper was dead easy to unroll, then I just pulled the hose onto it. Sorry I didn't get any pics of the actual rolling, but I used an empty corny key to roll it on. So just the fittings to do now.

It's probably overkill in terms of length or even I.D on the hose. Hopefully it will all be ok and work as planned. I'll post more when I get the fittings and complete the build of it.

Sorcerers Apprentice

How much did the support table cost in Materials? I am tied between building a timber one or a galvanised one made from unistrut?

DEMPSEY

Did you do this down in Blackwater Mobile home site :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Sorcerers Apprentice

These switches are usually only used for the control and not for taking the full load current of heaters for example, they should be wired to a relay which is rated to take the full load current, and in the process they are only subjected to the very small current needed by the relays

Ozbrewer

@SA - the table was about 250 euro. The top and lower shelf were expensive as I bought wood from woodies for that. What I didn't calculate was the standard width of a plank of a wood to be used for the top and bottom shelf and make the length of the table an even number of planks. I went with 1800 because that was the length needed, more or less, and then went 200mm width on wood used for the shelving. Brooks list wood at say 220 wide, but because it's planned it's actually like 217 or such. I had planned for that it would have been cheaper. I went to TJ O'Mahoneys in Ballymount for the nuts, bolts, washers and Woodies for the wood stain and varnish. O'Mahoneys was way cheaper than B&Q and Woodies for the bolts etc.

Overall though, I'm really happy with it and it's something that will last a lifetime.

@Dempsey - No, it wasn't Blackwater, it was Morris-Castle Strand, Kilmuckridge. Nice place actually. Managed to get down there without the kids and wife, had a few brews and made a counter flow chiller.  8)

@Tube - photo below for you. But as SA is saying, everything should be run through a relay and through the PIDs so such a thing doesn't happen. Try the Electric Brewery website as it has some really good wiring diagrams.

Ozbrewer

More progress today. I managed to get the heating elements installed into the kettles. Still need to do the wiring and add some silicon, but well chuffed with what I did get done. Again, modelled on the EB site.

Photo's of the process below along with some comments.

3 x 5500w ULWD heating elements

Gang boxes for housing heating elements

Already to go. Brewstand doubling up as work bench.

Had to use a dremel tool to grind down the spacers/feet on the back of the gang box.

Cut a hole in the gang box with a 53mm hole saw. Did this with a cordless 18v dewalt drill. Tough going this way and holes are way messy, but thankful not an issue at this stage.

Cut a hole for the panel mount receptacle plug for the heating element cable. This was actually easy compared to the big hole. Used a 30mm hole saw for this one. I've done it this way so it is easier to carry around and clean rather than having a long cable permanently attached to the kettle.

Hole cut for the gang cover.

All three ready for assembly.

What the parts look like installed in the gang box.

Two holes cut in the HLT for both elements.

Elements installed in the HLT.

Element installed in the BK.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Just an observation, I'm surprised to see that these elements don't seem to have an earth terminal. I know your brother in law is sorting out your electrics but for anyone else fitting them it would be worth considering the fitting of earth tags behind the back nut of the elements. They are fundamentally a brass washer with a piece of brass attached which has a hole in it to take an earth connection. They are available from electrical wholesalers and come in a large range of sizes.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Here's an image of the earth tag
http://thecrimpcompany.com/scpro/crimp/products/productsmoredetails.asp?id=6317

Ps if using an aluminium box as per Ausbrewer then brass is not suitable as the two dissimilar metals will cause erosion of the aluminium, from memory they also come in a stainless type finish.

johnrm

What is the device I post #43 pic 7? Is that a punch of sorts?

DEMPSEY

DEMPSEY