• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:39:21 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

rakau hops

Started by newToBrew, January 26, 2013, 08:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newToBrew

anyone use rakau hops before ? have 100 grams - thinking og making a simple  pale ale with them - might bitter with magnum of cascade
coz theres always something new to do

irish_goat

I used them in an American amber as a finishing and dry hop. I was told they were "underwhelming" so I lobbed in in about 50g at least (23L batch). They gave a lovely tropical, pineapple aroma which I really liked but I don't think I'd buy them again simply because of how much I had to use.

Rossa

I've used them. they are nice but you need to load up if doing a pale ale. Use the 100g for a 20l batch I think. Maybe 50g at 15 or 20 & the rest near the end.

They are good with other NZ hops too.

Padraic

Would they mix well with some galaxy? I also have 100g of them! Might just do two single hop brews... To get more of a feel for both hops!

newToBrew

yeah - figured I'd use them that way - thought the Cascade or Magnum as the bittering would be good and just use these as aromas/finishing - kinda want a tropical type PA this time round
coz theres always something new to do

Spud395

You had a beer of mine (if you made that meet) that was all Rakau late but bittered with magnum Damien. Nice flavour but as the lads are saying subtle, no big hop hit, it would easily be over powered but assertive hops I imagine
Non modo......sed etiam