• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:28:35 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Good uses for Galena Hops

Started by TheSumOfAllBeers, January 31, 2014, 04:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSumOfAllBeers

I have a pack of Galena pellet hops, unopened, that I may have gotten on some ill advised purchase or other.

I am trying to use up a lot of hops now, while they are still in good nick, but I dont have a flavour profile for galena. I am going through a phase of adding a lot of late hops for flavouring (I do cube hopping and its working well for me so far).

Anyone know any good recipes that use Galena, or better yet, what it pairs well with.

Does it bring out some dark berry fruits? Could it substitute for Bramling Cross? Or otherwise go well in a Stout, Porter or dark ale?

How about a pale ale? Or even a pale ginger beer?

brenmurph

imark

I believe it is used to good effect in one of the Porterhouse stouts

irish_goat

Quote from: imark on January 31, 2014, 05:28:31 PM
I believe it is used to good effect in one of the Porterhouse stouts

All of them do, plus the red.

mr hoppy

DeKonninck clone?

Porterhouse use it to decent effect as a bittering hop right across their range.

beerfly

Did a galana/calypso batch a few months ago thought they worked well together. Recommend using some for bitering, but most as a late addtion

TheSumOfAllBeers

Thanks guys.

ATM I am trying to dial back on bittering in my beers, as screwing up a hop schedule when you no-chill, results in excessively bitter beer.

So I have a lot of high alpha hops in my freezer that I am struggling to find another use for. So it looks like it can add a lot of interesting aroma, and an interesting dimension to the bitterness, if I use it sparingly.

Thanks for the heads up on the beer legends site too.