• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:27:39 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Near Miss With Dropping Full Glass Carboy.

Started by Greg2013, February 02, 2014, 07:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Yes you read correctly, muppet here was just did up his first Magnum's pear cider in one of the glass carboys i have here and was lifting it out of the bathtub where it had been cooling down when i had an oopsie due to a wet tiled floor :-[ Fell forward into the bath carboy still in hand and managed to only spill a litre or so, however it came down hard on the plastic bathtub so now i may have either a micro crack in the bottom of the bath or in the carboy or both :'(

Was going to be ordering another carboy next week but now i am giving serious thought to buying the brouwland plastic ones instead of glass ? ??? Yes/No what do ye think of these ? ;D

The main point is i hardly spilled a drop  ;D ;D ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

They are dynamite and need to be treated with respect especially with w5 as they are like bars of soap.
Do you have the handle on it, never use just that on its own for lifting full but it's great for steering.!
Eoin is also working on a carrier for them.

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on February 02, 2014, 07:58:15 PM
They are dynamite and need to be treated with respect especially with w5 as they are like bars of soap.
Do you have the handle on it, never use just that on its own for lifting full but it's great for steering.!
Eoin is also working on a carrier for them.

No CH i have the handle but i have not attached it yet as i don't believe its of any safe use in the lifting process. Waiting on a source for a carboy harness to transport them safely. Deadly 'aint the word  :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Stitch

I use a fermenter (plastic bucket) that I got when I started brewing. Carboy sits into fermenter and I can lift it with the bucket handle. Benefits of glass carboy with ease of moving about like a plastic bucket!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ciderhead

Do put the handle on as close to the main part of the bottle as will fit
They are great for steering and you will never end out dropping it if held and shaking cleaning products out of it.
Simple tip I started the other day to get rid of heavy Krausen crud was 1/3 fill with LUKE warm water and w5, boiling will crack it, and lie it on its side for 24hrs and then rotate 1/3 and again 24 hours later, much easier than using my carboy cleaner! Ah the wonders of w5.

Greg2013

Quote from: BrewRob on February 02, 2014, 08:27:01 PM
I use a fermenter (plastic bucket) that I got when I started brewing. Carboy sits into fermenter and I can lift it with the bucket handle. Benefits of glass carboy with ease of moving about like a plastic bucket!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Never thought of that  ::)

Quote from: CH on February 02, 2014, 08:36:54 PM
Do put the handle on as close to the main part of the bottle as will fit
They are great for steering and you will never end out dropping it if held

Will do that right away  ;D

On the question though would you stick with the glass ones or go with the PET ones on HBW from Brouwland ?

Hop Bomb

The brouwland PET carboys are the business. I prefer them to my glass as you can lift them a lot easier when full, easier to clean as they dont have those ridges on them & they wont smash & cut you obviously.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Ciderhead

Micro scratches, better O2 performance and discolouration from light and or chemical attack and restrictive cleaning agents and duration, is why I will never go plastic :(

Stitch

+1CH the scratches id why I moved to glass.
I read a good artivle a whilr back (think it may have been byo) and they reckon on average 6 batches is all you should expect from plastic.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Ciderhead

I would be very interested in HBs experience over the next 12 months as I know they are used extensively in the us.

alealex

Any plastic is going to slowly turn into something not very pleasant looking.
Glass and s/s is the way to go long term.
Now when I think of it, s/s is the way to go long term  ;)
Just a personal bad experience with the glass lately.
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

Ciderhead

Will_D

Have I mentioned brass/ss chain as an aid to clean "hard to clean vessels"?

Yes indeed I have.

Just get about 2 metres of 3/8" link brass or s/s chain and use it as a "swirly whirly scrubby dubber" type thing with your cleaner of choice.

Another Historical Note:

In the "good old days of HB and in particular home wine making" they recomended using "lead shot" as the abrasive to enhance the cleaner!

This was back when you or your dad (or Gdad) used to hand load the family shotgun cartrigdes and there was always a bag of lead shot around the house!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Hop Bomb

I read all the pros & cons before buying them & the good far out weighs the bad for me. Micro scratches? Ive used pastic buckets for yonks & no issues/infections. Not worried about the slightly worse o2 performance as I transfer under pressure where most brewers dont. Bigger chance of oxidation with transferring to secondary (which I dont do either) & bottle wand bottling (i use a proper counter pressure bottle filler) so Im already 2 or 3 up on most brewers on 02 side of it. Light pick up isnt an issue either as Ive a ceramic heat bulb in my ferm fridge. As you can tell Ive already justified the switch to the plastic carboys to myself.  8) 
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.