• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:41:12 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Near Miss With Dropping Full Glass Carboy.

Started by Greg2013, February 02, 2014, 07:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

Did you replace the carboy you broke a few weeks back?  ;)
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Ciderhead

The one I poured boiling water into yep!
Try pouring boiling water into your pet carboy, if you do it well enough it should shrink back to the preform which is what all of our liquid yeast comes in ;)

Hop Bomb

Yeah yeah smart arse. 60c water & PBW. No need for anything else.

You like glass. I like glass too but the PET wont cut me & its cheaper too. No brainer for me. Few heart in my mouth moments with glass & just not worth it as I know Il do myself an injury eventually if I keep using them.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Greg2013

Had this discussion over the last few days elsewhere between myself, the yanks and the brits. The yanks were all glass and stainless, the brits were split 50/50 glass and plastic. Now i can see why the yanks would be all glass and SS since they can get the stuff so cheap compared to us but was a little surprised to see so many brits opting for plastic carboys. Again like HB they favoured them because they were cheaper and safer to use breakage wise. Lightstrike did not come into it on either side as everybody seemed to be fermenting in chambers anyway so no light there. The only bone of contention was as CH mentioned the scratches and chemical resistance between glass and plastic.

The only conclusion i came away with was that at least for the brits cost savings from using plastic overide all else given that the plastic is not going to leech anything at least in the short term, they seemed to be willing to just change them a couple of times a year instead.

Me i am none the wiser on the subject, too many different points of view, remains to be seen where the hammer falls on this one for me ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Buy one try it and report back that's what HB will do
To me a car boy the current size but with big open neck sitting in a plastic basket would be the dogs.
I have a terrible reputation on here about putting fear of god into folks on leaching of plastic, pet is no different and trace elements have been found in bottled water well under WHO limits.
If it's sitting around a rinse will sort it out
I have to laugh though as we are all worried out heavy metals in our beer and not the 6% alcohol which if course is totally harmless. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ciderhead

Quote from: Hop Bomb on February 02, 2014, 10:55:57 PM
Yeah yeah smart arse. 60c water & PBW. No need for anything else.

You like glass. I like glass too but the PET wont cut me & its cheaper too. No brainer for me. Few heart in my mouth moments with glass & just not worth it as I know Il do myself an injury eventually if I keep using them.

Careful with strong concentrations of PBw or oxy or prolonged exposure and long term exposure to SSan is a no no as well, water in first then cleaning agent
http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html

You really shouldn't brew naked :P

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

I know I can't wait until they hit the market here, wondering are they tall enough as I can just get 2 car boys in fridge at the moment

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on February 03, 2014, 12:20:01 AM
I know I can't wait until they hit the market here, wondering are they tall enough as I can just get 2 car boys in fridge at the moment

Will get back to you on that after i ask elsewhere, seems they are designed for a blow off tube rather than an airlock though  8)

Greg2013

Measurements for the 6.5 US Gallon Big Mouth Bubbler are below CH  ;D

"Total height with 1" ID blow off hose, not bending it but rather alowing a relaxed curve is 23"

Total height using a standard air lock (not a double bubble) is 22 1/4 inches

Sorry if you use the metric system.

Oh yea

Total height to top of lid, using built it air lock is 17 1/2 inches.

All measurements are on the 6.5 gal model".

From an online USA contact on Facebook that has one of these.  ;D

mr hoppy

Quote from: CH on February 02, 2014, 11:56:25 PM
To me a car boy the current size but with big open neck sitting in a plastic basket would be the dogs.

Animal feed bucket?

magnethead

I like the look of those big mouth bubblers!!

I use a handle to move around the empty Carboy and than a nylon strap when it's full

Got the straps off this site
http://www.brewhauler.com/

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Will_D on February 02, 2014, 10:31:16 PM
Have I mentioned brass/ss chain as an aid to clean "hard to clean vessels"?

Yes indeed I have.

Just get about 2 metres of 3/8" link brass or s/s chain and use it as a "swirly whirly scrubby dubber" type thing with your cleaner of choice.

Another Historical Note:

In the "good old days of HB and in particular home wine making" they recomended using "lead shot" as the abrasive to enhance the cleaner!

This was back when you or your dad (or Gdad) used to hand load the family shotgun cartrigdes and there was always a bag of lead shot around the house!!
Yes you did mention this before and I remembered it but then again some of the yung brains here just think too quick and don't allow time for the info to sink in :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Ciderhead

Brew belts in glass is a not to be done, too much focused heat and reports of them in us cracking

Bazza

Just had my first cleaning experience with one of these glass carboys following a successful batch of Proper Job clone. Kegged/bottled last Thursday and left the carboy, half full with a Fairy Liquid solution, upside down in a plastic bucket till yesterday.

So did the 3-day soak manage to dislodge all that caked-on krausen material? Did it f**k!

In the end I fashioned an ingenious cleansing device from an old bucket handle and some wet wipes. Successful but extremely tedious. If it hadn't been for the company of, Watson, my old hollowed out turnip, keeping me sane with his hilarious tales of seaferring and roister-doistery, I'd never have gotten thorough it.

I hear mention of folk using oxi solution. Would Vanish work? Or could I just soak it in vwp solution. I'm just fearful of prolonged use of chemicals leaving a slimy residue that'd be even harder to shift.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx