• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:24:06 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Near Miss With Dropping Full Glass Carboy.

Started by Greg2013, February 02, 2014, 07:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

so   make sure u clean with oxy but rinse well and leave in  a starsan solution. Sjhake every few days of storage to ensure ou drum, carboy or what evr is ready for use  when u need it.

Greg2013

Guys has any move been made on sourcing the harness/carrier for the glass carboys, i think Eoin was working on something a few months back ? Also anybody have any successs locating a source for the big mouth bubbler that will ship to Ireland and not require a remortgage on your house ?  ???
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Damien M

Quote from: lordstilton on April 24, 2014, 08:43:02 PM
Had the exact same issue with oxy tried everything to shift it including caustic soda to no avail,...I was told to try PH down from a hydroponic shop..i found it in a pet shop as they use it for fish tanks...worked a treat...shifted it in seconds

Thanks for the tip Lordstilton i had the same problem and pH down worked sweet. ;Dl

Ciderhead

Quote from: Damien M on May 10, 2014, 11:42:51 PM
Had the exact same issue with oxy tried everything to shift it including caustic soda to no avail,...I was told to try PH down from a hydroponic shop..i found it in a pet shop as they use it for fish tanks...worked a treat...shifted it in seconds

Thanks for the tip Lordstilton i had the same problem and pH down worked sweet. ;Dl

is this it?
Is that not just for bringing down ph?

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=644#.U26729EU_F4

Eoin

I didn't get to it yet, basically I need to get some carboys of that type to build my design. My glass carboy is of the old blown balloon types in a basket.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Rather than buy PH down, have you tried any other acids like citric acid - lemon juice, or acetic acid - vinegar? Lidl sell a product for removing Water and soap stains from chrome taps, I think its called anti-cal or something like that. I see from the product sheet on PH down it contains sulfuric acid.

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Damien M

Quote from: CH on May 11, 2014, 12:53:55 AM
Quote from: Damien M on May 10, 2014, 11:42:51 PM

is this it?
Is that not just for bringing down ph?

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=644#.U26729EU_F4

Yep. That's the stuff. I had left Oxy in a bit too long...... A couple of days. :( and had scale deposits had formed at the water glass air interface. This stuff will drop the pH of yer water and the acid solution will dissolve the alkali deposits left by the oxy.  Left the CB sparkly.

Eoin

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on May 11, 2014, 09:16:09 AM
Rather than buy PH down, have you tried any other acids like citric acid - lemon juice, or acetic acid - vinegar? Lidl sell a product for removing Water and soap stains from chrome taps, I think its called anti-cal or something like that. I see from the product sheet on PH down it contains sulfuric acid.

pH down come in a few forms, there is a sulphuric, a nitric and a phosphoric acid version, they are not to be messed with. They must be handled as hazardous chemicals and if you use them in your bath they are likely to take the chrome off of your fittings.

Sorcerers Apprentice

That was my point Eoin, I personally would try a safer options like lemon juice before messing with the heavy guns :-) and I'm sure it's a lot cheaper

Eoin

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on May 11, 2014, 09:36:45 AM
That was my point Eoin, I personally would try a safer options like lemon juice before messing with the heavy guns :-) and I'm sure it's a lot cheaper

Yeah I get ya, but when the lighter stuff is not working then it's time to bring out the heavy guns...that said I did lose a pair of trousers once by picking up a bottle that I had not put the lid back on correctly and it slipped and landed square on on the floor and a drop shot up out of it and sprayed my trousers, when I looked down they were smoking and full of holes....I was rinsing my face to make sure any splashes were taken off. I wasn't hurt but the trousers were terminal, at least I had a "safe" accident and nothing serious happened beyond losing a pair of trousers, but I learned to be safer with them. CRS is another heavy chemical that I tend to use which is also sulphuric from what I remember.

Sorcerers Apprentice

Lucky it didn't land in your lap :-O
We used to have the same problem years ago while changing batteries on the fork lift trucks. The acid would eat through the overalls and through your clothes underneath them. The brewery used to give us an allowance for clothing , no matter what precautions you took a small drop would always seem to get through. People pay for jeans with holes already in them now :-)

brenmurph

good oul lemon juice...did really well in last years nationals with a lemon ale :)
Nothing wrong with a bit of citric acid and its cheap as chips :)