• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 06:39:32 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

How do you know if your yeast is infected?

Started by Fal, February 14, 2013, 07:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fal

I collected yeast from the trub for the first time nearly 2 weeks ago. I'm planning on using it tomorrow, but how do you know if it's okay or if it got infected during the collection etc.
...used to be NewBier

Ciderhead

QuoteI collected yeast from the trub for the first time nearly 2 weeks ago. I'm planning on using it tomorrow, but how do you know if it's okay or if it got infected during the collection etc.

did you follow tubes wiki on washing?
you gonna make a starter?

Shanna

Hi there,

I followed tubes advice on washing the trub from his wiki article and I ended up with loads of trub so I was a bit sceptical. however I persisted and used a vial of it to create a 2 litre starter. seeing a 2 litre mini brew taking on.the top of the fridge was interesting. it was a Californian ale yeast and every time I swirled three conical flask it filled the kitchen with a fruity smell. It worked.net out a treat as it cut the brewing time from two to one week. No sign of.net infection, it smelt great and the gravity sample I took I drank to check for off flavors were ok. The real test will be when I come to drink the first bottle.

Instructions were great.

Shanna

QuoteI collected yeast from the trub for the first time nearly 2 weeks ago. I'm planning on using it tomorrow, but how do you know if it's okay or if it got infected during the collection etc.

did you follow tubes wiki on washing?
you gonna make a starter?

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Fal

I followed the wikki to step 4, they're still in jars in my fridge. I'm just wondering in general if there is a way to tell if your yeast is good before using it.
...used to be NewBier

Fal

...used to be NewBier

Will_D

February 14, 2013, 10:59:01 PM #5 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:59:54 PM by Will_D
QuoteSmell it. No other way of telling. Good yeast doesn't smell great, but if there's an infection it probably will smell bad.

Depending on the age you may also see:

A thin grey film on top - Not Good
A thicker wooly head - probably not good (but I am still invetigating a cider in a demi-john)

A film with dangling tentacles - NG
Floating white lumps - Not sure may be a malo-lactic strain ( also found in a wine of mine!! ) which is drinking nicely!

If the liquid has become thick/syrupy/ropey then Def. NG

HTH
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing