• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:47:19 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Single hop double IPA... which hop?

Started by admin, February 08, 2013, 01:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

I've done two double IPAs recently, one with Bramling Cross (recipe already sent to Trouble) and one with Marynka, also nice.

So I'm gonna do another one. Base malt only, and coming in around 7.5% abv. Lots of hops. So which would you chose? I have the following in enough quantities to do it.

Saaz
Perle
Magnum
Willamette
Centennial

Jacob

Centennial or Willamette would be my choice.

Alex Lawes

Had an all Willamette IPA in New Orleans a couple of years ago. Weird blackcurrant cirtussy farty aroma. Really unusual but I'd still love another.

Snuff

Give it a go with Perle, never had an IPA using just Perle.
I just kegged and IPA done with 100g Willamette and 20g Magnum. Tasted blackcurranty alright but needs a few weeks conditioning.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

Fal

What was the Marynka one like, would you do it again? Still wondering what to do with the one I bought in the group buy.
...used to be NewBier

Fal

Yeah a lager was my plan, but I think I've missed the cold weather and I don't have a fridge for temp control.

I wonder could you mix it with the american c hops. I tried that with Saaz before and it didn't really work well.
...used to be NewBier

rukkus

February 08, 2013, 09:56:28 PM #6 Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:58:28 PM by rukkus
it has to be NS, updated: if that was on the list (posted before i saw the list)

rukkus

Have you tried a magmun smash? I've heard great things for a bittering hop but i've read thats its great dual purpose but havent opened mine yet.